Life is just a series of choices. Some of these choices are safe and don’t bring about anxiety, but there are other choices that make us feel afraid, anxious, and uncomfortable.
Those moments where you feel a little fear can make or break the type of person you become.
While taking chances is a scary proposition, it opens the door to a better, more meaningful life. Any meaningful pursuit is going to carry a degree of risk — it’s up to you to show some courage and walk the path anyway.
In this article, we’re diving into a compelling list of quotes about taking chances that will nudge you towards the scary path.
Whether you’re considering a new job, pondering a significant life change, or just looking for inspiration to act, these quotes are designed to offer a spark.
Let’s unpack the profound impact that taking chances can have on your life.
Inspirational Quotes About Taking Chances
- “Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.” ~ Mary Tyler Moore
- “Dare to take chances, follow your dreams, risk it all, fall in love, believe in yourself, let go, make mistakes, start over, speak the truth, take responsibility, and live for today.”
- “Fear is normal. Every person feels fear at some point. Step aggressively towards your fear — that is the step into bravery.” ~ Jocko Willink quote
- “Don’t be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you do the better.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Never regret taking a chance, even if you fall on your face; It’s better to know you tried and failed than to wonder the great “what if?” ~ Devin Frye
- “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” ~ Muhammad Ali
- “Comfort zones: If you live in one too long… that becomes your norm. Get comfortable being uncomfortable.” ~ David Goggins quote
- “Life goes on whether you choose to move on and take a chance in the unknown. Or stay behind, locked in the past, thinking of what could’ve been.”
- “The best people possess the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable, they are often wounded, and sometimes destroyed.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
- “Never allow waiting to become a habit. Live your dreams and take chances, life is happening now.” ~ Paulo Coelho
- “The biggest risk is not taking any risk… In a world that is changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.” ~ Mark Zuckerberg
- “You only get one shot at life, one life to live, make the most out of it and put as many smiles on people’s faces as you can.” ~ Young Dolph quote
- “If we have a goal and a plan, and are willing to take risks and make mistakes, we can choose to do the hard thing.” ~ Scott Kelley
- “We have to be honest about what we want and take risks rather than lie to ourselves and make excuses to stay in our comfort zone.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “Don’t let fear hold you back from your dreams. Take a chance, take a risk, and believe in yourself. The greatest achievements come from taking bold action.”
- “Your life can be like a movie. The mundane, the boring, the average, your life doesn’t need to be this way. But every good movie has some sort of risk, and the heroes of the story are willing to take them. Are you?” ~ Andrew Tate quote
- “I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which was that you can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey
- “When you take risks, you learn that there will be times when you succeed and there will be times when you fail, and both are equally important.” ~ Ellen DeGeneres
- “A rebel is the one who lives totally according to his own light and risks everything else for his ultimate value of freedom.” ~ Osho
Short Quotes About Taking Chances
- “Just keep taking chances and having fun.” ~ Garth Brooks
- “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.” ~ Yogi Berra quote
- “You don’t manifest dreams without taking chances.” ~ Stephen Richards
- “I’d rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not done.” ~ Lucille Ball
- “Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?” ~ Jimmy Johnson
- “You can’t reach your full potential by holding onto where you are.” ~ Grant Cardone quote
- “At the end of the day, the people who take risks are the ones who win the game of life.”
- “To win big, sometimes you have to take big risks.” ~ Bill Gates
- “Be a little scared to take chances, but take them anyway.”
- “Take a chance. Dare to live at the edge of uncertainty.” ~ Debasish Mridha
- “People living deeply have no fear of death.” ~ Anais Nin quote
- “There’s a unique advantage to being a beginner; no expectations. It’s the ideal time to take risks, fail, and begin again.”
- “Stop worrying about the risks and start focusing on the rewards.”
- “There’s never gonna be a perfect moment, you have to take the chance now.”
- “I just want to be able to do it all because that’s what life is.” ~ Morgan Wallen quote
- “We avoid risks in life only to die, and end up facing the greatest risk which is having lived life risking nothing at all.” ~ Chinoye J. Chidolue
- “Life is defined more by its risks than by its samenesses.” ~ Mary Anne Radmacher
- “We need to take risks. We need to go broke. We need to prove them wrong, simply by not giving up.” ~ Awkwafina
- “Your mission this week; take risks, live life boldly. Don’t keep wondering what it could be like..go find out!”
- “If you only do what you can do, then you will never be more than you are now.” ~ Master Oogway quote
- “Your sense of individuality comes from working alone and taking chances other people are afraid to take.” ~ Debbie Stapleton
- “Every opportunity you’ve ever wished for can be yours if you have the courage to take chances.”
- “Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.” ~ Paulo Coelho
- “Be brave and take risks. You don’t have to have it all figured out to move forward.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
Quotes On Chances And Opportunities
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s some more eye-opening quotes about taking chances.
- “No one has ever become a success without taking chances. One must be able to recognize the moment and seize it without delay.” ~ Estee Lauder
- “Play around. Dive into absurdity. Take chances. You will succeed if you are fearless of failure.” ~ Natalie Goldberg
- “Our lives improve only when we take chances. And the first and most difficult risk we can take is being honest with ourselves.” ~ Walter Anderson
- “There is nothing so agonizing, or so dangerous, as a memory unexpressed, unexplored, unexplained, & unexploded.” ~ Amanda Gorman quote
- “You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.” ~ Paulo Coelho
- “Don’t allow yourself to become one who, nearing death, regrets what you might have done if only you had taken a few risks. We each have a purpose in life.” ~ Gillian Stokes
- “There’s a tremendous bias against taking risks. Everyone is trying to optimize their ass-covering.” ~ Elon Musk
- “How much you truly believe in something can be manifested only through what you are willing to risk for it.” ~ Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- “Go after your dreams. There’s a tremendous amount of risk to playing it safe.” ~ Bill Burr
- “So many people give up too early. The moment they feel a little discomfort and a little pain, they give up.” ~ Ray Lewis quote
- “With courage you will dare to take risks. Have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity.” ~ Mark Twain
- “Every minute that you sit around trying to figure out what to do, someone else is already doing it. Make a choice or a choice will be made for you.” ~ Tim Grover quote
- “We have to face our fears and plow through. I think taking chances takes a lot more courage than staying stagnant and doing what’s safe and comfortable. ~ Terri Clark
- “The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to indecision.” ~ Maimonides
- “For many of us, the road is a difficult one, but the path is always there for us to follow, no matter how many times we may fall.” ~ Joshua Graham quote
- “Living means taking chances. Playing it safe all the time is being dead inside, even if you happen to still be breathing.” ~ Ellen Hopkins
- “If you try to avoid risk, you’re actually risking total failure. Or worse: mediocrity.” ~ Reid Hoffman
- “You’ve gotta make the most of life because there are people out there so much less fortunate than you. Live on for them. Live the life that they wish they could live.” ~ Lil Peep quote
- “Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown.” ~ George Shinn
- “Adventure is a path. Real adventure is self-determined, self-motivated, often risky, and forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world.” ~ Mark Jenkins
- “I like pursuing the things that scare me because they cost me something. It’s not really a risk unless you lose. I feel alive in those moments.” ~ Matthew McConaughey quote
Quotes About Taking Chances In Relationships
- “If you are never scared, embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take chances.” ~ Julia Soul
- “This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
- “Love is patient; love is kind, it should not make you lose your mind.” ~ Zach Bryan quote
- “True love is willing to take a risk in order to win it all.”
- “Taking risks with your heart and coming out unscathed..that’s how trust is built.”
- “If we commit ourselves to one person for life, this is not a rejection of freedom. Rather, it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent.” ~ Madeleine L’Engle
- “Love is everything it’s cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.” ~ Erica Jong
- “To say that one waits a lifetime for their soulmate to come around is a paradox. People eventually get sick of waiting, take a chance on someone, and by the art of commitment become soulmates, which takes a lifetime to perfect.” ~ Criss Jami
- “If you are afraid to take a chance, take one anyway. What you don’t do can create the same regrets as the mistakes you make.” ~ Iyanla Vanzant
- “Love is like a scary ride, but worth the while.” ~ Doja Cat quote
- “Taking risks with your heart is one of the scariest parts of life, but also one of the most rewarding.”
- “A family is a risky venture, because the greater the love, the greater the loss…That’s the trade off. But I’ll take it all.” ~ Brad Pitt
- “To fall in love is a legendary action that doesn’t need any explanation.” ~ Auliq Ice
- “The best love story is when you fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time.”
- “If there’s even a slight chance at loving something or someone that will make you happy, risk it. Life’s too rare.” ~ A.R. Lucas
- “Have enough courage to trust love one more time. Always one more time.”
Funny Quotes On Taking Chances
Let’s wrap up this list with some humorous quotes on taking chances in life.
Feel free to also check out these know your worth quotes if you’re looking for further inspiration.
- “Love is a violent recreational sport. Proceed at your own risk. Helmets, armor, and steel-toe boots are required by law.” ~ H.C. Paye
- “If no one ever took risks, Michaelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor.” ~ Neil Simon
- “Progress always involves risks. You can’t steal second base and keep your foot on first.” ~ Frederick Wilcox
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” ~ Wayne Gretzky
- “They say good things take time…that’s why I’m always late.”
- “It’s better to cross the line and suffer the consequences than just to stare blankly at the line for the rest of your life.” ~ Paulo Coelho
- “I’d rather have a life of “oh wells” than “what ifs.”
- “Life is like looking for your phone. Most of the time, it’s in your hand.”
- “Take risks! If you win, you will be happy. If you lose, you will be wise.”
- “Just remember. If the world didn’t suck, we’d all fall off.”
- “Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out alive.” ~ Elbert Hubbard
What’s the primary lesson from these quotes about taking chances? Risk is not a gamble; it’s an investment in your growth.
Everything that you do in life is risky. You pay a price for everything that you do and don’t do in this world.
As Jim Rohn says, “You think trying is risky? Wait until they hand you the bill for not trying.”
Use these quotes as fuel to start trying. Start taking small steps outside of your comfort zone and make friends with uncertainty.
Talk to that stranger in line, ask your boss for the raise, start working on that business you’ve been meaning to start.
If you’re not taking these kinds of chances, you’re not really living.
You May Also Like These Articles: