In this article, we’re going to dive into a powerful list of quotes about the fear of the unknown.
Your fear center is one of the most primitive parts of your brain. We all possess a threat-detection mechanism inside of our brain that steers us away from danger.
The problem is that the way your fear center operates is very black and white — it doesn’t know the difference between a saber-toothed tiger or a big presentation at work.
If you face any situation where there’s potential for stress or discomfort, you can guarantee that your brain will convince you to move as far away from that situation as possible.
And given that almost everything we want lies on the other side of discomfort, this doesn’t bode well for our pursuit of a fulfilling life.
But as many people have proven over and over again, your fear of the unknown doesn’t have to control your life.
You are capable of feeling the fear and asking your boss for that raise. You are capable of feeling the fear and approaching that guy/girl at the bar. You are capable of feeling the fear and moving to a new city.
So without further ado, here’s some powerful quotes that will remind you of the power that you have to overcome your fears.
Inspirational Fear Of The Unknown Quotes
Let’s kick off this list with some inspirational quotes about the fear of the unknown!
- “Being at ease with not knowing is crucial for answers to come to you.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
- “We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect.” ~ Robert Jordan
- “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” ~ Joseph Campbell
- “If you are too comfortable, it’s time to move on. Terrified of what’s next? You’re on the right track.” ~ Susan Fales-Hill
- “The ego relies on the familiar. It is reluctant to experience the unknown, which is the very essence of life.” ~ Deepak Chopra
- “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
- “Many people say when they’re in the unknown, “I can’t predict my future, this doesn’t feel right.” Well the best way to predict your future is to create it. Not in the known, but in the unknown.” ~ Joe Dispenza
- “If you stay in your comfort zone, that is where you will fail. Success is not a comfortable procedure. It’s a very uncomfortable thing to attempt.” ~ Steve Harvey
- “When you’re trying to move away from the unknown and the hard things in life, you’re actively choosing to move further away from what you want in life.” ~ Andy Frisella
- “As you move outside of your comfort zone, what was once frightening becomes your new normal.” ~ Robin Sharma
- “Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves – regret for the past and fear of the future.” ~ Fullon Oursler
- “If you want your life to expand and grow, do not seek the familiar. Open yourself up to the unknown and dive headfirst into it.”
- “Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown.” ~ George Shin
- “The secret to your existence is right in front of you. It manifests itself as all of those things you know you should be doing, but are avoiding.” ~ Jordan Peterson
- “Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the most important thing.” ~ Georgia O’Keefe
- “It is not a terrible thing that we fear the unknown. It is part of being alive, something we all share.” ~ Pema Chodron
- “One is never afraid of the unknown; one is afraid of the known coming to an end.” ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
- “Life is magical when we are bold and have the courage to move forward into the unknown, rather than backwards into security.”
Famous Quotes About The Fear Of The Unknown
Enjoying this list of quotes so far? Then you may also enjoy this list of quotes about stepping out of your comfort zone or these motivating quotes about overcoming fear.
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s more eye-opening fear of the unknown quotes.
- “No amount of anxiety makes any difference to anything that is going to happen.” ~ Alan Watts
- “Fear defeats more people than any other thing in the world.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are too busy living our fears.” ~ Les Brown quote
- “Most people talk about fear of the unknown. But if there is anything to fear, it is the known.” ~ Deepak Chopra
- “We all have a fear of the unknown and what we do with that fear will make all the difference in the world.” ~ Lillian Russell
- “Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.” ~ Will Smith
- “The fear of the unknown is so powerful, it convinces us to stay in the misery of our current situation simply because we know it already.” ~ Tory Eletto
- “The closer man gets to the unknown, the more inventive he becomes — the quicker he adopts new ways.” ~ Buckminster Fuller
- “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer the suffering that is familiar.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
- “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” ~ J.K. Rowling
- “Don’t let the fear of the unknown keep you from experiencing a life greater than you have ever known.” ~ Jeff Mcclung
- “A lot of us don’t know about another world that exists for us because it’s on the other side of suffering.” ~ David Goggins
- “If you want to go somewhere new, you have to throw out the old, tired map and stop traveling the same road to the same dead end.” ~ Tim Grover
- “A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown.” ~ Denis Waitley
- “Man can learn nothing except from going from the known to the unknown.” ~ Claude Bernard
- “Look forward to the future and look forward to the unknown. Nothing stays the same and people change. One day hurt and pain will be a distant memory.” ~ Angela Merkel
- “Art is a step in the known toward the unknown.” ~ Kahlil Gibran
Afraid Of The Unknown Quotes
It’s completely natural to be afraid of the unknown, but it’s not okay to let this fear dictate your decisions.
Because if you wait until you’re ready to face your fears, you’re gonna get to the end of your life and feel tortured by what might’ve been.
So with that said, here’s some powerful quotes about the fear of the unknown that will motivate you to start leaning into fear.
- “Don’t be intimidated by what you don’t know. That can be your greatest strength and ensure that you do things differently from everyone else.” ~ Sara Blakely
- “Don’t let fear of the unknown keep you from changing what you know doesn’t work.”
- “Waking up to who you are requires letting go of who you imagine yourself to be.” ~ Alan Watts
- “Fear of the unknown is a destructive force. It causes people to make suboptimal choices by avoiding that fear.” ~ Cliff Lerner
- “When you walk into the unknown, you must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for you to stand upon or you will be taught to fly.” ~ Patrick Overton
- “The key to growth is acknowledging your fear of the unknown and jumping in anyway.” ~ Jen Sincero
- “The reluctance to let go of the past is due to the fear of the future, which is the unknown. But that is where our greatest potential resides.”
- “Sometimes we can trace our fears through the actions we take, and sometimes it’s the actions we’re reluctant to take.” ~ Jay Shetty
- “Don’t be in such a rush to figure everything out. Embrace the unknown and let your life surprise you.”
- “The unknown is not your enemy. It’s what makes each day such an adventure.”
- “Faith and doubt are both needed – not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.” ~ Lillian Smith
- “Even if you feel hesitation tapping your shoulder, move forward into the unknown.”
- “If you want to tap into your unlimited potential, let go of your expectations and embrace the unknown.”
- “Do not fear to step into the unknown, where there is risk, there is also reward.” ~ Lori Hard
- “We do not fear the unknown. We fear what we think we know about the unknown.” ~ Teal Swan
- “Going into the unknown is how you expand what is known.” ~ Julien Smith
- “The fear of the unknown tends to be a harmless giant once you find the courage to face him.” ~ Ralph Harlow
- “Do not fear the unknown. Dare to be adventurous in life.” ~ Lailah Gifty Akita
Quotes About Stepping Into The Unknown
Let’s wrap up this list with some powerful fear of the unknown quotes about feeling the fear and taking action anyway.
- “Any plunge into the unknown is reckless, but that’s where the treasure lies.” ~ Brendon Burchard
- “Don’t fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest memory of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, should have.” ~ Louis E. Boone
- “Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.” ~ Bertrand Russell
- “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” ~ Alan Watts
- “Each time you try something for the first time you will grow. A little piece of the fear unknown is removed and replaced with a sense of empowerment.” ~ Annette White
- “Know that the greatest fear is fear of the unknown. Seek to meet the unknown with courage and a sense of adventure.” ~ Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- “There’s one thing that is guaranteed to increase your feelings of control over your life; a bias towards action” ~ Mel Robbins quote
- “When you make room for the unknown, you make room for miracles.”
- “Until you step into the unknown, you have no idea what you’re made of.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “If you’ve always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always be where you’ve always been.” ~ T.D. Jakes
- “What is courage? It is letting go of the familiar and stepping into the unknown. It is only there that our potential can be realized.”
- “Don’t let your fear of the hazards keep your ship in the harbor. Cast off your lines and sail away.”
- “No meaningful discoveries can be made without venturing into the unknown.”
- “If you live in fear of the future because of what happened in your past, you will end up losing what you have in the present.”
- “You can’t reach your full potential by holding onto where you are.” ~ Grant Cardone
- “I am choosing happiness over suffering. I’m making space for the unknown future to fill up my life with yet to come surprises.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
- “Life goes on whether you choose to move on and take a chance in the unknown, or stay locked in the past thinking of what could’ve been.”
- “Instead of filling the unknown in our minds with expectations of the tragic, we can choose to fill the void with a different expectation – the expectation of adventure.” ~ David Jones
Final Thoughts On These Fear Of The Unknown Quotes
In order to live a fulfilling life, you must embrace the unknown. You’re never going to reach your potential if you spend your life in a constant retreat to the familiar.
In the familiar, all you’ll find is stagnation, and stagnation is the primary reason why so many people feel lost and unfulfilled in life.
So I hope that these fear of the unknown quotes have left you motivated to start tackling your fears!
But more importantly, what’s one thing you’re going to do after reading this article to actually put these quotes into action?
You May Also Like These Articles: