In this article, we’re diving into some of the best Yogi Berra quotes of all-time!
When you think of the world of baseball, few names resonate as deeply as Yogi Berra. A Hall of Famer, 10-time World Series Champion, and an 18-time All-Star, Yogi is a legend both on and off the diamond.
There’s no denying the impact that he had on the game of baseball and the New York Yankees organization.
But putting aside his legendary accomplishments on the field, he also had a unique blend of humor and wisdom that made him a charismatic figure in the baseball world.
Let’s dive into some of the best “Yogi-isms” that will make you laugh, challenge your mind, and offer perspective from one of baseball’s all-time greats.
Best Yogi Berra Quotes
- “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
- “Nobody can be all smiley all the time, but having a good positive attitude isn’t something to shrug off.”
- “A lot of people like to say the word Yogi-isms, but I don’t remember saying half of the things I said during my career.”
- “I am happy to speak my words… A lot of people have been quoting me… But, as I once said, I didn’t really say everything I said. So now it’s my turn. I want to give some of my famous advice to the graduates.”
- “The game is supposed to be fun. If you have a bad day… don’t worry about it. You can’t expect to get a hit every game.”
- “It ain’t over till it’s over.”
- “In baseball and life, you don’t know nothing.”
- “No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.”
- “You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn’t enough in the second half you give what’s left.”
- “Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.”
- “Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.”
- “A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know.”
- “Slump? I ain’t in no slump, I just ain’t hitting.”
- “If you don’t catch the ball, you catch the bus home.”
- “You can observe a lot by just watching.”
- “There are some people who, if you don’t already know, you can’t tell ‘em.”
- “In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.”
- “I wish everybody had the drive Joe DiMaggio had. He never did anything wrong on the field. I’d never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field.”
- “If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be.”
- “If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.”
- “I’m lucky. Usually you gotta die to get your own museum, but I’m still alive to see mine.”
- “I can see how Sandy Koufax won twenty-five games. What I don’t understand is how he lost five.”
- “If I didn’t make it in baseball, I wouldn’t have made it working’. I didn’t like to work.”
- “The future ain’t what it used to be.”
- “If the people don’t wanna come to the ballpark, nobody is going to stop them.”
- “You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you’re going, because you might not get there.”
- “My main goal in life was to have fun, and I really did. I enjoyed every minute.”
- “I never blame myself when I’m not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn’t my fault that I’m not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?”
- “Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.”
- “I’m a lucky guy and I’m happy to be with the Yankees.”
- “I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.”
- “So I’m ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face.”
- “How can you think and hit at the same time?”
- “Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.”
- “I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early.”
- “All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”
- “He hit from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”
Funny Yogi Berra Quotes
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s some more funny Yogi Berra quotes that highlight his unique sense of humor.
- “My words just come out, I don’t even know what I’m saying.”
- “It’s like deja vu all over again.”
- “The other teams could make trouble for us if they win.”
- “Even Napoleon had his Watergate.”
- “It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.”
- “You better cut the pizza in 4 pieces, because I’m not hungry enough to eat 6.”
- “You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.”
- “We have deep depth on our team.”
- “The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.”
- “It gets late early out here.”
- “90% of the putts that are short don’t go in.”
- “I wish I had an answer to that because I’m tired of answering that question.”
- “I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids outta the house.”
- “I think the first thing that I should do is thank everybody who made this day necessary.”
- “We may be lost, but we’re making good time.”
- “If you get hurt and miss work, then it won’t hurt to miss work.”
- “Chocolate chip cookies…you can taste how good they are just by eating them.”
- “It was hard to have a conversation with anyone, there were too many people talking.”
- “Who in the heck is this guy Philharmonic?”
- “A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”
FAQ’s About Yogi Berra
Now that we’ve covered an extensive list of Yogi Berra quotes, here’s some more insight into the life of this baseball legend.
What is the meaning of Yogiism?
The term “Yogi-ism” refers to the quirky and often paradoxical quotes by Yogi Berra.
Yogi-isms are witty, humorous, and sometimes even nonsensical. They often contain mixed metaphors and contradictory statements, but sometimes they’re actually pretty insightful.
For example, one of Yogi’s famous quotes is, “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
On the surface, it seems nonsensical. However, it’s often interpreted as a way to deal with situations where you’re paralyzed by indecision.
Instead of waffling back and forth, just make a decision and deal with the consequences. This is the kind of confusing, insightful quote that characterizes Yogi Berra perfectly.
What was Yogi Berra’s most famous quote?
Yogi Berra had many famous quotes, but perhaps the most famous is, “It ain’t over ’til it’s over.”
This Yogi-ism has transcended the world of sports to become a universally recognized phrase in all domains of life.
It encapsulates the idea of not giving up until the very end, and that’s a lesson that all of us can take to heart.
In the world of baseball and beyond, Yogi Berra’s impact is undeniable.
This Yankee legend has left us with more than just impressive stats; he’s gifted us a treasure trove of Yogi-isms that live on forever.
These Yogi-isms blend wit, wisdom, and a touch of humor. They encapsulate one of the primary lessons that we can learn from Yogi — how you make people feel is just as important as what you accomplish.
So as we wrap this up, let these Yogi Berra quotes serve as a reminder to laugh at yourself, enjoy life, and leave a legacy in the process..
You May Also Like These Articles: