Welcome to this collection of inspirational Amanda Gorman quotes!
Amanda Gorman is one of the most well-known poets in the world whose work focuses on key topics such as feminism, racism, and oppression.
Her poems are beautifully written and it’s no surprise why she received the distinct honor of being the youngest inaugural poet in American history. In this article, we’re gonna dive into her most powerful quotes that will encourage you to find inner peace and positively impact the world.
Whether you are looking for inspiration to change or a subtle reminder of the importance of hope, Gorman’s words will leave you feeling empowered.
So without further ado, let’s get into the list!
Powerful Amanda Gorman Quotes
- “This is the hill we climb, if only we dare it; Because being American is more than pride we inherit — It’s the past we step into, and how we repair it.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Never forget that to be alone has always been a price for some & a privilege for others.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “There is nothing that convinces like the self does. Our life, our body & its beating, proving its own jagged point. Tell me what is more powerful than the unerased.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “To tell the truth, then, is to risk being remembered by its fiction.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Somehow we’ve weathered and witnessed a nation that isn’t broken, but simply unfinished.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “There is nothing so agonizing, or so dangerous, as a memory unexpressed, unexplored, unexplained, & unexploded.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We will not march back to what was, but move to what shall be a country that is bruised, but whole, benevolent, but bold, fierce, and free.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I’m the daughter of black writers, who were descended from freedom fighters, who broke their chains and changed the world.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We are the good news that we have been looking for. Demonstrating that every dusk holds a dawn within it. Today we don’t burst into a new world, we begin it.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We have to be brave enough to be kind and speak up for each other. We have to be brave enough to speak our intelligence to power.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “When I found out that Maya Angelou had a speech impediment, I was actually upset with my educators. You mean to tell me that one of the great orators of all-time struggled with a speech impediment the same way I did? And no one told me?” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Grief, like glass, can be both a mirror & a window, enabling us to look both in & out, then & now & how. In other words, we become a window pain.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We are striving to forge our union with purpose. To compose a country committed to all cultures, colors, characters, and conditions of man.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I was born early along with my twin, and oftentimes that can lead to learning delays. So one of my delays was in speech and speech pronunciation.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “The type of leadership that I like to participate in really leans into my femininity. Things like empathy, compassion, listening, tenderness, sharing power.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “There’s nothing wrong with being alone. I spent a lot of my time during lockdown with a pen and paper, and I started seeing solitude as a real gift.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “To be kept to the edges of existence is the inheritance of the marginalized.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “One of the best moments of my life is when the Inaugural Committee told me that I was going to be the 2021 Inaugural Poet.”
Amanda Gorman Short Quotes
- “For while we have our eyes on the future, history has its eyes on us” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Always remember that what happened to us happened through us.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Shall this leave us bitter? Or better? Grieve. Then choose.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “The only way to correctly predict the future is to pave it, is to brave it.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I had to learn to use my voice even though I was terrified to do so.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “When you’re a writer and you’re writing all the time, you need to carve out time for yourself to stay sane. I’m starting to get very dedicated to that.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Those moments when you’re alone teach you how important it is to have people around you who love you.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I think that one of the many poems that everyone should read is “I too” by Langston Hughes.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “It’s so difficult to be that which you cannot see.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “It meant so much to me to have my own piece of the great Maya Angelou with me at that moment during the inauguration.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “The single greatest challenge of our era is to transform without wrath, war, or wariness.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “To love one another just may be the fight of our lives.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Take a knee to make a stand.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “There is power in being robbed and still being able to dance.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I always told myself when writing poems that every single one should be worthy of an inauguration.” ~ Amanda Gorman
Amanda Gorman Quotes On Light
Enjoying this list of quotes so far? Then you’ll also enjoy these Anais Nin quotes or this list of Morgan Harper Nichols quotes.
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s some more Amanda Gorman quotes!
- “Storytelling is the way that unarticulated memory becomes art, becomes an artifact, becomes fact, becomes felt again, becomes free.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We ignite not in the light, but in lack thereof, For it is in loss that we truly learn to love. “ ~ Amanda Gorman
- “While we might feel small, separate, and all alone, our people have never been more tightly tethered. The question isn’t if we will weather this unknown, but how we will weather the unknown together.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I often say that one day I’ll vacation, but right now I’m just too absorbed in seeing the light in my work to stop doing it.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “When day comes, we step out of the shade, Aflame and unafraid. The new dawn blooms as we free it, For there is always light.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “When this ends, we’ll smile sweetly, finally seeing In testing times, we became the best of beings.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Sometimes, we must call our monster out from under the bed to see he/she/it carries our face.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Life is not what is promised, but what is sought.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “There is always light. If only we’re brave enough to see it. If only we’re brave enough to be it.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Since the world is round, there is no way to walk away from each other, for even then we are coming back together.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “The hurt is how we know we are alive and awake. It clears for us all the exquisite, excruciating, enormities to come. We are pierced new by the turning forward.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I have to interweave my poetry with purpose. For me, that purpose is to help people, and to shed light on issues that have far too long been in the darkness.” ~ Amanda Gorman
Amanda Gorman Quotes On Change & Hope
Let’s wrap up this list with some more inspirational Amanda Gorman quotes on change and hope.
- “Just like a skill or any art, we cannot possess hope without practicing it. It is the most fundamental craft we demand of ourselves.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We do not hope for no reason. Hope is the reason for itself.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Maybe everything hurts, our hearts are shadowed and strange. But only when everything hurts, may everything change.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We’re more conditioned to contagion than combat. But a virus, just like a war, separates us from our fellow people. Yet if we are willing, the cut can be an aperture through which we reach for one another.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We might not be fully sure of all that we are, and yet we have endured all that we were.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “We lay down our arms so we can reach out our arms to one another. We seek harm to none and harmony for all.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “For it’s our grief that gives us our gratitude, shows us how to find hope if we ever lose it.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “But while democracy can be periodically delayed, it can never be permanently defeated.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Trauma is like a season, deep and dependable, a force we board our windows against. Even when it passes, it will wail its wild way back to our porch.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “Courage, compassion, patience. All of these require some type of bravery on our part.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “If the poet can help us ask the right questions, then that can help us get to the right destination.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “I have notebooks all the way back from elementary school. I love being able to look back at my writing and see how I’ve changed over the years.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “In 30 years, one of the goals that I hope to accomplish is to become president of the United States so that I can change this country for the better.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “The great responsibility I feel is to get people to put that power and hope in themselves.”
- “Change is made of choices, and choices are made of character.”
I hope that you enjoyed this list of Amanda Gorman quotes!
Gorman’s words are a powerful reminder of the importance of hope, courage, and perseverance in our lives.
Her poetry has a unique ability to captivate audiences, move hearts, and open minds. And the quotes we’ve covered in this article represent just a small fraction of her impactful work.
If you’re aspiring to make a difference in the world, then exploring her poetry and overall message is a worthwhile endeavor.
The fact that she’s achieved so much at a young age is a powerful reminder that we can all achieve great things regardless of race, age, or gender.
As Amanda powerfully reminds us, “For there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it. If only we’re brave enough to be it.”
You May Also Like These Articles: