In this article, we’re going to break down some of the most powerful mental toughness of all-time!
If you want to be successful, mental toughness is non-negotiable. Peek into the life of any successful person that you admire and you’ll see that they succeed because they “win moments.” each day.
They win the moment where their mind is telling them to procrastinate something that needs to get done.
They win the moment where they are presented with an opportunity to get outside of their comfort zone.
They win the moment when their alarm clock is going off at 6 a.m. and they don’t feel like getting out of bed.
That’s all mental toughness is about — choosing the hard path over the easy path day in and day out.
So without further ado, here’s a collection of powerful quotes that will highlight the power of living with a bulletproof mindset.
Inspirational Mental Toughness Quotes
Let’s kick off this list with some inspirational mental toughness that will motivate you to show some grit.
- “Strength grows in moments when you think you can’t go on but you keep going anyway.”
- “Curiosity, rationalization, and laziness are no match against courage, self-control, and mental toughness.” ~ John Bytheway
- “If you can get through doing things that you hate to do, on the other side is greatness.” ~ David Goggins
- “When the going gets tough, put one foot in front of the other and just keep going. Don’t give up.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “The pain and boredom we experience in the initial stage of learning a skill toughens our minds.” ~ Robert Greene
- “Being mentally strong doesn’t mean you won’t feel afraid. Instead, mental strength is about feeling afraid and doing it anyway.” ~ Amy Morin
- “Do not allow negative thoughts to enter your mind for they are the weeds that strangle confidence.” ~ Bruce Lee
- “Success depends less upon strength of body than upon strength of mind and character.” ~ Arnold Palmer
- “Be comfortable being uncomfortable. It may get tough, but it’s a small price to pay for living a dream.” ~ Peter McWilliams
- “You’re tougher than you think you are, and you can do more than you think you can.” ~ Christopher McDougall
- “Life is, at times, tough. And all we need to do is to prove that we are tougher than it.” ~ Sanhita Baruah
- “Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.” ~ Rikki Rogers
- “You show me anyone that’s great in anything they do, I’ll show you somebody that’s demonstrated mental toughness to overcome obstacles and adversity.” ~ Sean McVay
- “If you don’t learn how to untangle your feelings from your actions, you’ll never unlock your true potential.” ~ Mel Robbins
- “There is a value to adversity. We learn more from tough times than from easy ones.” ~ Vincent O’Neil
- “You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” ~ Marcus Aurelius
- “Want to be happy…to have self-esteem…to build confidence? Want to develop new skills? It’s simple…keep the promises you make to yourself.” ~ Andy Frisella
- “When you think that you are done, you’re only 40% into what your body’s capable of doing.” ~ David Goggins
- “There is zero chance you’ll get anywhere if you allow yourself to become paralyzed by soft excuses and countless reasons why you’ll never get to where you want to be.” ~ Tim Grover
- “Refuse to emotionally succumb to the negative events around you and tap your mental toughness to thrive in any environment. Where you direct your mental energy will always determine your attitude.” ~ Steve Siebold
Short Mental Toughness Quotes
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s some more powerful quotes on mental toughness.
- “A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never go back to its old dimensions.” ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “You can accomplish anything. The only limits are the ones you create in your own head.”
- “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” ~ Khalil Gibran
- “Tough times don’t last, tough people do.” ~ Robert Schuller
- “When you’re going through hell, keep going.” ~ Winston Churchill
- “No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up and handle it.” ~ Tupac
- “Mental toughness is spartanism with qualities of sacrifice, self-denial, dedication. It is fearlessness, and it is love.” ~ Vince Lombardi
- “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” ~ Dan Milliman
- “Mental toughness is when you can find fuel in an empty tank.”
- “The days you don’t want to are the days you really have to if you want to reach your goal.” ~ Jay Shetty
- “When it’s tough, will you give up or will you be relentless?” ~ Jeff Bezos
- “Mental toughness is finding fuel on an empty tank.” ~ Kent Morris
- “You can’t get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.” ~ Harvey Specter
- “The sky’s not the limit. Your mind is.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
- “You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.” ~ Dwayne Johnson
- “Our strength grows out of our weaknesses.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Without rain nothing grows. Learn to embrace the storm of your life.”
- “The hardest walk is walking alone, but it’s also the walk that makes you the strongest.”
- “You’ll have good days, bad days, overwhelming days, too tired days, but every day you can still show up.” ~ Tiny Buddha
Powerful Mental Strength Quotes
Let’s keep this list rolling with more quotes on mental toughness that will motivate you to develop an iron mind. Feel free to also check out these you can’t break me quotes for further motivation.
- “Never underestimate your own strength. You were born for a purpose and are blessed with the power to achieve it.” ~ Leon Brown
- “Sometimes we’re tested not to show our weaknesses, but to discover our strengths.”
- “The ability to continue moving when you are feeling scared, fearful or lazy is the sign of true mental strength.” ~ Matthew Donnelly
- “Sometimes life will kick you around. But sooner or later, you realize you’re not a survivor. You’re a warrior, and you’re stronger than anything life throws your way.” ~ Brooke Davis
- I’m pissed off for greatness. Because if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that means you’re okay with being mediocre.” ~ Ray Lewis
- “The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.” ~ George Patton
- “The only way to gain mental toughness is to do things you’re not happy doing. If you continue doing things that satisfy you, you’re not growing.” ~ David Goggins
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Actions breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “Disciplined, consistent, and persistent actions are more of a determining factor in the creation of success than any other combination of things.” ~ Grant Cardone
- “A lot of people are afraid to tell the truth, to say no. That’s where toughness comes into play. Toughness is not being a bully. It’s having a backbone.” ~ Robert Kiyosaki
- “Character is the result of two things; mental attitude and the way we spend our time.” ~ Elbert Hubbard
- “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.” ~ Bob Marley
- “I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.” ~ Art Williams
- “If we did all of the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” ~ Alva Williams
- “When you break certain mental barriers, you’ll realize that you can do way more than you think you can. You’ll think back and say, “I was crazy for limiting my potential.” ~ Nipsey Hussle
- “The trial you encounter will introduce you to your strengths…and one day you will build something that endures, something worthy of your potential.” ~ Epictetus quote
Quotes On Mental Toughness In Sports
To finish off this list of mental toughness quotes, here’s some powerful words about the mind from high-performing athletes and sports legends.
- “Concentration and mental toughness are the margins of victory.” ~ Bill Russell
- “Make sure your own worst enemy doesn’t live between your two ears.” ~ Laird Hamilton
- “The mental game is the entire game. The physical is only an extension of what you’re capable of doing mentally.” ~ Phil Davis
- “When my body gets tired, my mind says ‘This is where winners are made!’ When my mind gets tired, my heart says, ‘This is where champions are made!” ~ Baylor Barbee
- “Mental toughness doesn’t guarantee you’ll win, but playing without it pretty much guarantees you won’t.” ~ Tim Grover
- “A champion is someone who gets up when he can’t.” ~ Jack Dempsey
- “Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.” ~ Jerry Rice
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” ~ Muhammad Ali
- “Legs and athleticism are worth nothing without mental toughness. You also need to be stubborn.” ~ Gonzalo Higuain
- “If I waited until I felt good, I’d never train. Shut up and get in there and do what you can.” ~ CT Fletcher
- “Mental toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it’s not the best thing for you.” ~ Bill Belichick
- “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
- “If you want to be the best, you have to do things other people aren’t willing to do.” ~ Michael Phelps
- “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” ~ Michael Jordan
- “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” ~ Lance Armstrong
- “I don’t count my sit-ups; I only start counting when it starts hurting because they’re the only ones that count.” ~ Muhammad Ali
How Do You Build Mental Toughness?
Mental toughness isn’t something you’re born with. It’s a skill that you can actively improve, and the best way to build it is by doing things you don’t want to do.
Don’t want to hit the gym? You get up and go to the gym.
Don’t want to wake up early? You roll out of bed and start your day early.
Don’t want to make cold calls? You sit at your desk, pick up the phone, and start dialing.
That’s all it takes to develop mental toughness. There’s no magic-pill. There’s no hack, no secret, or special meditation that will rewire your brain.
It’s a skill that you develop by overcoming internal resistance every day.
So if you want to go beyond just reading quotes on mental toughness and actually work to develop it, here’s a simple game that you can play every day:
- Take note of when your brain tries to talk you out of doing something you know you should do.
- Every time you override your brain and take action, give yourself 1 point.
- Keep track of your points somewhere (paper or electronic)
- Tally up your points at the end of each day and then simply try to beat your score the following day.
The beauty of this simple game lies in its simplicity.
You don’t need to overcomplicate mental toughness — just find moments every day where your brain pushes you to do what’s easy, and then do what’s right instead.
And as you make the right decision more often, mental toughness no longer becomes something you have to develop.
It just becomes a part of who you are.
You May Also Like These Articles: