In this article, we’re gonna dive into some deep Jay Shetty quotes that will make you rethink your life.
Jay Shetty is a self-help expert with a unique background. At the age of eighteen, he was an ambitious business school student in London with dreams of becoming a self-made millionaire.
One day though, his friend dragged him to a speech hosted by an Indian monk named Gauranga Das. And as it turned out, this speech would alter the trajectory of Shetty’s life forever.
He was so captivated by the speech that he ditched summer internships and spent the next few summers in Mumbai training to be a monk himself.
Now at 35 years old, Shetty is committed to helping people find clarity and purpose by developing the monk mindset that he spent years cultivating.
He’s certainly an inspirational figure with an abundance of wisdom to share, so let’s dive into this list of quotes from Jay Shetty!
Jay Shetty Quotes About Life
Anytime Jay Shetty talks, there’s a good chance that you’ll really sit back and start to analyze your life.
You’d expect nothing less from a self-help expert who spent three years training to be a monk. So without further ado, let’s get into some Jay Shetty quotes about what it means to live fully.
- “An ideal life for me is when we all have a head, a heart, and a hand, all working in alignment. Without one or the other, we start to lose something in life.”
- “The truth is that you’re living the movie of your life. So you don’t have to direct it beforehand, you’ve gotta direct it in the moment.”
- “When we bluff our way through life, pretending to be who we are not, we end up looking worse than we truly are.”
- “Life and time are the best two teachers. Life teaches us to make good use of time and time teaches us the value of life.”
- “It is important to find our significance not from thinking other people have it better but from being the person we want to be.”
- “When the fear of staying the same outweighs the fear of change, that is when we change.”
- “We can’t stop our parents from dying, but we use the fear to remind us to spend more time with them.”
- “When you learn a little, you feel you know a lot. But when you learn a lot, you realize you know very little.”
- “Our search is never for a thing, but for the feeling we think the thing will give us.”
- “Because the only thing that stays with you from the moment you’re born until the moment you die is your breath. All your friends, your family, the country you live in, all of that can change. The one thing that stays with you is your breath.”
- “If you are satisfied with who you are, you don’t need to prove your worth to anyone else.”
- “If you don’t break your ego, life will break it for you.”
- “When you deal with fear and hardship, you realize that you’re capable of dealing with fear and hardship. This gives you a new perspective: the confidence that when bad things happen, you will find ways to handle them.”
- “Everyone has a story, and sometimes our egos choose to ignore that. Don’t take everything personally — it is usually not about you.”
- “Sometimes we can trace our fears through the actions we take, and sometimes it’s the actions we’re reluctant to take.”
- “It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.”
- “Here’s the irony: If you’ve ever pretended you know something, you probably discovered that it often takes the same amount of energy to feign confidence and feed vanity as it takes to work, practice, and achieve true confidence.”
- “There are two lies some of us hear when we’re growing up. The first is “You’ll never amount to anything.” The second is “You can be anything you want to be.” The truth is: You can’t be anything you want. But you can be everything you are.”
Jay Shetty Quotes On Happiness
Shetty’s experiences as a monk have taught him a great deal about finding inner peace and happiness in a world that’s pretty noisy.
Here’s a list of Jay Shetty quotes on striving for happiness in the modern world.
- “When we accept the temporary nature of everything in our lives, we can feel gratitude for the good fortune of getting to borrow them for a time.”
- “It is impossible to build one’s own happiness on the unhappiness of others.”
- “Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness”
- “Appreciate everything, even the ordinary. Especially the ordinary.”
- “Being present is the only way to live a truly rich and full life.”
- “If we never learn to be alone we will always feel lonely.”
- “Yesterday is but a dream. Tomorrow is only a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”
- “As long as we keep attaching our happiness to the external events of our lives, which are ever changing, we’ll always be left waiting for it.”
- “Reflecting on the knowledge that we will die someday compels us to value the time we have and to spend our energy thoughtfully. Life’s too short to live without purpose.”
- “We force ourselves out of bed to live the same day again and again and call it a life.”
- “Let’s not make happiness and success about the size of our homes, but about the size of our hearts; let’s not make it about gratification but gratitude.”
- “It helps to find a community that reflects who you want to be. A community that looks like the future you want.”
- “We become successful by what we get, but we become happy by what we give.”
- “Doing one thing by yourself, for yourself, that creates joy is such an important habit.”
- “Your happiness is not dependent on anything external. Don’t give the key to your happiness to anyone or anything or any situation. Happiness is an inside job.”
Jay Shetty Quotes On Success
If you just want to keep reading, then here’s some more Jay Shetty quotes about achieving success.
- “Think about what you can do right now, not what you wish you had done before.”
- “Turn your cant’s into cans and your dreams into plans.”
- “The days you don’t want to are the days you really have to if you want to reach your goal.”
- “The fact that it was hard was an important part of the journey.”
- “Pick one thing to change, make it your number one priority, and see it through before you move on to the next.”
- “I wish” is code for “I don’t want to do anything differently.”
- “If you don’t sacrifice for what you want, what you want becomes the sacrifice.”
- “We must keep the promises we make to ourselves so that we can keep those that we make to others.”
- “You are who you are when no one is watching.”
- “Often all that holds us back from achieving the impossible is the belief that it is impossible.”
- “Failures are only failures when we don’t learn from them, because when we learn from them they become lessons.”
- “No matter what you think your values are, your actions tell the real story. What we do with our spare time shows what we value.”
- “The next time you see someone that you think is successful, don’t focus on what they’re doing now. Focus on what they did to get there.”
- “We will keep facing the same test until we learn the lesson we are meant to learn. The same situations, relationships, issues will keep arising in our lives until we recognize what we are supposed to take away.”
- “The monk mindset is, ‘How do I just place this next step?’ Not perfectly, but how do I place this next step with my best intention, process, and habits possible?”
- “If you’re looking around and you find yourself being the smartest person in the room, change rooms because you’re in the wrong one.”
- “We get so attached to having one route, one method, one way of working, that we believe that there’s only one pathway to where we want to be. But in reality, there’s no standardized path to success.”
- “I’m always asking my clients this question when they start out, “How can you use what you have to make a difference in the lives of other people?” Because if you start there, everything else will work out.”
- “There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with cloudy or multifaceted intentions. We just need to remember that the less pure they are, the less likely they are to make us happy, even if they make us successful. When people gain what they want but aren’t happy at all, it’s because they did it with the wrong intention.”
Jay Shetty Quotes About The Power Of The Mind
Let’s keep things rolling here by covering some Jay Shetty quotes about the power of your mind.
- “You can’t be what you can’t see. If I never saw a monk, I would’ve never wanted to be a monk.”
- “Detachment is not that you own nothing, it’s that nothing owns you.”
- “Everything makes sense, even if you can’t make sense of it right now. Don’t judge the moment.”
- “We get bored because we don’t want to sit with our fears. We don’t want to sit with our anxiety. We don’t want to sit with our stress because it’s uncomfortable.”
- “I can use my awareness of my fear as a tool to help me make decisions that are truly in line with my values and purpose.”
- “Our fears are more numerous than our dangers, and we suffer more in our imagination than reality.”
- “Swap ‘Why is this happening to me?’ to ‘What is this trying to teach me?’. It will change everything.”
- “The thing about limitations is that they are only true as long as you believe in them. So, instead of believing in your limitations, start believing in yourself.”
- “If you need to vent. then vent. If you need to complain, then complain. If you need to share how you feel, then do that. But recognize that those feelings are not permanent.”
- “Cancers of the Mind: Comparing, Complaining, Criticizing.”
- “Negativity is a trait, not someone’s identity. A person’s true nature can be obscured by clouds, but, like the sun, it is always there. And clouds can overcome any of us. Just like we wouldn’t want someone to judge us by our worst moments, we must be careful not to do that to others.”
- “None is less important than the others, and none of us are too important to do any chore. If you think you’re too good for something, you succumb to the worst egotistical impulses, and you devalue anyone who does that chore.”
- “Letting go doesn’t mean wiping away negative thoughts, feelings, and ideas completely. The truth is that these thoughts will always arise—it is what we do with them that makes the difference.”
- “Any time I go through difficulty, I look to moments in history where people have endured the same pain, if not more extreme, and I analyze, absorb, and connect how they got through it.
- “Fear motivates us. Sometimes it motivates us toward what we want, but sometimes, if we aren’t careful, it limits us with what we think will keep us safe.”
- “Start your day with a quote that you love. Start your day by looking at a picture of someone that you love. Start your day with a work of art that inspires you. Make the first thing that you see so closely connected to your purpose that your monk-mind naturally comes alive.”
Jay Shetty Quotes On Self Love
- “We say things to ourselves that we would never say to people we love”
- “When you are looking to be validated by others, you are living according to their values, not yours.”
- “Don’t live for the approval of others. Document the moments you’re most in love with yourself, not just the moments you think people will love the most.”
- “Giving yourself space and time can actually lead to the birth of more creativity and some of your best work.”
- “It’s amazing what we can do when our passion meets a purpose greater than our self. That’s why we need to explore our curiosity. Invest in what interests us. Follow what intrigues us.”
- “Your phone needs a recharge every night. Your laptop needs to recharge. Everything needs to recharge. Are you giving yourself space, time, and effort to recharge?”
- “I really want you to recognize that if you’re taking care of your physical and mental health, you can take on any challenge.”
- “Focus on your own strengths and what you have to offer. Don’t get lost in trying to become like someone else or pretending to be someone else.”
- “Self-love is how you feel about yourself when you are by yourself.”
- “The only way to build a meaningful life is to filter out that noise and look within. This is the first step to building your monk mind.”
- “When nobody else celebrates you, learn to celebrate yourself. When nobody else compliments you, then compliment yourself. It’s not up to other people to keep you encouraged, it’s up to you.”
- “Self-care isn’t just holidays and massages. It’s working on your habits, mindset and healing your past. It’s removing toxic thoughts, people and places in your life. It’s living intentionally, purposefully and consciously.”
Jay Shetty Quotes About Relationships
Let’s wrap up this list with some quotes from Jay Shetty about relationships.
- “Don’t fall in love too fast. You think you know their dreams, but you just know their plans. Plans come from the head, dreams come from the heart.”
- “People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.”
- “We often expect too much of others when we don’t have a clear sense of their purpose in our lives.”
- “Often we’re so engrossed in our work that we forget to value, appreciate and recognize those that we’re actually working for. We get so wrapped up in our own lives that we forget the people that make up our life.”
- “The challenge is that we ignore the ones who support us, support the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones who love us.”
- “A relationship without trust is like a car without gas. You can stay in it all you want but it won’t go anywhere.”
- “The challenge is we all want to be with someone who makes us happy, when what we need to do is be someone who makes us happy.”
- “The person we will become in five years is defined by the people that we spend time with today and the books that we read today.”
- “A best friend is someone who loves you when you forget to love yourself.”
- “People who care will ask how you are doing, people who love will wait until you tell the truth.”
- “If we think everyone is a reflection of ourselves, we fail to see things as they are. We see things as we are.”
- “You assume the love you receive will come from the person you gave it to. But it doesn’t always come from that person. Similarly, there are people who love you who you don’t give the same love in return.”
- “Kindness is as easy—and as hard—as this: genuinely wanting something good for someone else, thinking about what would benefit them, and putting effort into giving them that benefit.”
- “When someone hurts you, it’s because they’re hurt. Their hurt is simply spilling over. They need help.”
- “The two things to remember are the bad we’ve done to others and the good others have done for us.”
- “If you expected one person to fulfill all of your needs, then of course there is a vacuum when they’re gone. Now that you’re single, use this time to build a community of people with shared interests whom you want to be in your life forever. You need to be someone who makes you happy.”
- “When we criticize others, we can’t help but notice the bad in ourselves. But when we look for the good in others, we start to see the best in ourselves too.”
I hope that you enjoyed this list of Jay Shetty quotes!
As a former monk, he certainly has a ton of wisdom to share about finding happiness and inner peace in a chaotic world.
Shetty’s key message is that we should spend time engrossed in meaningful pursuits that connect us with the deepest parts of ourselves.
It’s a pretty intuitive message, but it’s nonetheless powerful. If you can learn to live in the moment, express gratitude, prioritize quality relationships, and do work you’re passionate about, that’s a recipe for a pretty awesome life.
By adopting just a couple of Shetty’s principles, you can really start to improve your life in a meaningful way.
You May Also Like These Articles: