Life is a difficult journey, but so often we make things even harder by letting negativity pollute our internal dialogue.
It’s one thing to experience negative thoughts — no one is immune to the whims of the irrational mind.
The trouble begins when we internalize these thoughts and let them dictate our actions on a daily basis.
That’s where positive self-talk comes in handy. By consciously facilitating a positive response to negative thoughts, they start to hold less sway on how we act and what we believe.
So without further ado, let’s dive into a list of positive self-talk quotes that will highlight the power of combating negativity with positivity.
Inspiring Positive Self Talk Quotes
Let’s kick off this list with some inspiring quotes on the power of positive self-talk!
- “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “Choose the positive. You have a choice. You are the master of your attitude. Choose the positive, the constructive.” ~ Bruce Lee
- “Be positive. Your mind is more powerful than you think. What is down in the well comes up with the bucket. Fill yourself with positive things.” ~ Tony Dungy
- “Convince yourself everyday that you are worthy of a good life. Let go of stress, breathe. Stay positive, all is well.” ~ Germany Kent
- “You won’t acquire external haters until you’ve conquered the internal hater.” ~ Orin Woodard
- “Either you must control your thoughts or the outside forces will control them, and be warned that outside forces usually consist of fears, worries, and doubts.” ~ Maddy Malhotra
- “There is no inspiration without being armed with the ability of positive self-talk.” ~ Mwanandeke Kindembo
- “Remember that positive self-talk is an intrinsic part of a healthy mind.” ~ Asa Don Brown
- “The more you look for positive aspects of your current life, the more positive aspects will step forward to reveal themselves to you.” ~ Abraham Hicks quote
- “Effective self-talk strategies can give us a greater sense of control over our doubts, worries, and fears.” ~ Noel Brick
- “Everything you attract into your life is a reflection of the story you believe and keep telling yourself.” ~ Farshad Asl
- “Change your self-talk. Remind yourself that you are strong and resilient and can handle anything that comes your way.”
- “The world conditions the mind to doubt. Only the self can condition the mind to love.”
- “Sometimes nothing is happening and all that disaster just happens in your mind.” ~ Bad Bunny quote
- “A strong, positive self-image is the best possible preparation for success.” ~ Joyce Brothers
- “Positive self-talk is important and effective in managing depression or anxiety. Instead of saying “I can’t”, say ‘I can try’”.
- “Instead of worrying about what you cannot control, shift your energy to what you can create.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “Surround yourself with positive people. Positive friends and family enhance your positive self-talk, which also helps to manage the symptoms of depression and anxiety.”
- “If the mind can cause stress, the mind can alleviate it. It’s within our power to choose one thought over anothers, to choose optimism over pessimism.” ~ Ernest Cadorin
Short Positive Self Talk Quotes
If you just want to keep reading, then here’s some short positive self talk quotes.
- “Turn down the volume of your negative inner voice and create a nurturing inner voice to take its place.” ~ Beverly Engel
- “Self-talk reflects your innermost feelings.” ~ Dr. Asa Don Brown
- “Your self-talk is the channel of behavior change.” ~ Gino Norris
- “Before you fall asleep every day, say something positive to yourself.” ~ Enid Bagnold
- “Talk about your blessings more than you talk about your problems.”
- “You spend most of your life inside your head. Make it a nice place to be.”
- “Worrying won’t stop the bad things from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good.”
- “Words matter. And the words that matter most are the ones you say to yourself.” ~ David Taylor-Klaus
- “Self-talk is the most important conversation of your life.” ~ Jesus Apolinaris
- “My body wasn’t the problem; my thoughts and beliefs were.” ~ Anne Poirier
- “Don’t believe everything you tell yourself.” ~ Lidia Longorio
- “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” ~ Brene Brown
- “When you talk to yourself, remember to speak out of love.”
- “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” ~ Charles R. Swindoll
- “Practice positive self-talk, regardless of your progress.”
- “When you focus on the good, the good gets better.” ~ Abraham Hicks
Powerful Quotes About Self-Talk
Let’s wrap up this list with some positive self-talk quotes that will highlight the power of being your own best friend.
- “The most important conversation is the one you have with yourself. You wake up with it. You walk around with it. And eventually, you act on it.” ~ David Goggins
- “The thoughts in your mind will always be more important than the things in your life. Choose happiness.” ~ John C. Maxwell
- “Champions learn how to develop empowering beliefs and invest a substantial amount of time solidifying those beliefs, mostly through their own self-talk.” ~ Steve Siebold
- Every day is a new beginning. Stay away from what might have been, and look at what can be.” ~ Marsha Petrie Sue
- “You cannot change reality, but you can control the manner in which you look at things. Weed out the negative and focus on the positive.” ~ Helen Steiner Rice
- “There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.” ~ Epictetus quote
- “Start listening to the way you talk to yourself. These interactions will tell you how well you know yourself, how much you respect yourself, and what boundaries you are lacking.” ~ Sara Kuburic
- “Watch how you talk to yourself! Be gentle and kind; results don’t happen overnight.”
- “Find the pitch and pace and syllables and words you love to hear. Delight your own senses, and self-romance.” ~ Alexandra Katehakis
- “Let the voice of the soul come out from within, listen to it, expand yourself.” ~ Santosh Kumar
- “If you’re not talking yourself out of depression, you’re talking yourself into depression.” ~ Curtis Tyrone Jones
- “Listen to the words you say. The very words you say to other people are the words you need to hear.” ~ Kate McGahan
- Stay positive. Talk to yourself in positive, uplifting ways even when you feel “stuck” or unmotivated.”
- “You know exactly what you need to hear to keep going. Talk to yourself nicely, be your best cheerleader and coach.”
- “You’ll never talk to anyone as much as you talk to yourself, so make sure the words you say are filled with love and compassion.”
How Can Self Talk Be Positive And Effective?
In order for self-talk to be positive and effective, it needs to be grounded in truth.
Self-talk isn’t about “rah-rah” pep talks. It’s not about ignoring negative thoughts and trying to throw a giant halo of positivity over them.
It’s about one simple thing – acceptance! Positive self-talk works best when you recognize the reality of your situation while putting a positive spin on it.
Here’s an example: you’re sitting on the couch and start to feel negative thoughts creep in.
The “rah-rah ignore everything” approach would sound something like this: “I’m perfectly fine and I’m happy with the direction of my life!”
Now technically this would be considered positive self-talk, but truthfully it’s just a clever way of running from discomfort.
And while the thoughts may recede temporarily, you can bet that they’re gonna bubble up again with even more force.
Here’s what a better approach to positive self talk might look like in this scenario:
“I accept the fact that I’m not living up to my potential right now. However, I’m capable of taking small positive actions right now to alleviate my insecurities.”
This is an infinitely better way to frame your situation. You’re recognizing the true duality of your current state — things may suck right now, but you’re capable of positive action to move things forward.
So while it’s great to read positive self-talk quotes and practice positivity, just keep in mind that you don’t want to overdo it.
Recognize the reality of your situation, while also recognizing that you have the power to alter it too.
You May Also Like These Articles