In this article, we’re diving into a list of self compassion quotes that will force you to rethink the way you talk to yourself.
It’s no secret that we are often our harshest critics. For some reason, our brain loves to harp on our flaws, our past mistakes, and the goals we’ve yet to achieve.
Yet, while self-criticism is the default for many, it’s possible to generate an opposing force to counteract negativity.
Ironically, that force starts right between your ears.
By training your brain to fight back against intrusive, unhelpful thoughts, you can find greater fulfillment and thrive in moments of adversity.
So without further ado, let’s dive into these compelling quotes about self-compassion that encourage a glass half full mindset.
Self Compassion Quotes
- “Start telling yourself every day that you are exactly where you need to be right now. One of the major reasons why you don’t have what you want in life is because you invalidate where you are and are too quick to trash yourself.” ~ Mel Robbins
- “Compassion, tolerance, forgiveness, and a sense of self-discipline are qualities that help us lead our daily lives with a calm mind.” ~ Dalai Lama
- “Self-compassion is a muscle that gets stronger with use.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
- “A little more self-compassion and a little less anger is what most of us need.” ~ Wayne Gerard Trotman
- “Nobody on this earth is perfect. Everyone has their own flaws. Everybody has their dark secrets and vices.” ~ Juice WRLD
- “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” ~ Jack Kornfield
- “We would all live beautifully if we just lived with compassion and kindness.” ~ Hiral Nagda
- “The number one reason why people give up so fast is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they’ve gotten.” ~ Mac Miller
- “Love and compassion open our own inner life, reducing stress, distrust, and loneliness.” ~ Dalai Lama
- “Make the best of what is in your power, and take the rest as it occurs.” ~ Epictetus
- “Treat yourself as if you were someone responsible for helping.” ~ Jordan Peterson
- “As you face loss, frustration, hurt, and conflict…have respect for yourself, and patience and compassion.” ~ Jack Kornfield
- “Your happiness is not dependent on anything external. Don’t give the key to your happiness to anyone or anything or any situation. Happiness is an inside job.” ~ Jay Shetty
- “You’ll never talk to anyone as much as you talk to yourself, so make sure the words you speak to yourself are filled with love and compassion.”
- “When you are compassionate towards yourself, you allow yourself to be vulnerable. And that’s incredibly important. Your authentic truth is your magnificence. Your willingness to let the world see you in truth is your greatest contribution.” ~ Gabby Bernstein
- “You are the good news that you have been looking for.” ~ Amanda Gorman
- “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” ~ Dalai Lama
- “The genuine heart of sadness can teach us great compassion. It can humble us when we’re arrogant and soften us when we are unkind.” ~ Pema Chodron
- “You’re not gonna get to where you wanna be by focusing on what everyone else is doing.” ~ Young Dolph
- “Be compassionate and love yourself. The world is difficult already. You don’t need to make things even more difficult for yourself.”
- “Beautify your inner dialogue. Beautify your inner world with love, light and compassion. Life will be beautiful.” ~ Amit Ray
- “You are not your mind. You don’t have to believe the lies it tells you about yourself.” ~ Scott Stabile
- “I have just three things to teach; simplicity, patience, and compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” ~ Lao Tzu
- “What you nurture, thrives. Water your seeds with love and self compassion at all times.”
- “The path to inner peace is paved with compassion, gratitude, and forgiveness.”
- “Just because you haven’t found your talent yet doesn’t mean you don’t have one.” ~ Kermit The Frog
- “I was once afraid of people saying ‘Who does she think she is?’ Now I have the courage to stand and say “This is who I am.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
- “The only person who can pull me down is myself and I’m not going to let myself pull me down anymore. ~ Joybell C.
- “Lighten up on yourself. No one is perfect. Gently accept your humanness. ~ Deborah Day
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s more self compassion quotes that highlight the power of positive thinking.
- “If you want to be faithful to someone or something, start by being faithful to yourself.” ~ Paulo Coelho
- “Stop looking to others for the love that you need to give to yourself.”
- “Perform all work carefully, guided by compassion.” ~ Ved Vyasa
- “Have sympathy for yourself during difficult times. Give yourself the gifts of grace and compassion.”
- “The minute you begin to focus on the external in your life, you’ve lost all control.” ~ Ed Mylett
- “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” ~ Brene Brown
- “You know exactly what you need to hear. Talk to yourself nicely, be your best cheerleader and coach.”
- “All the happiness, self-confidence, and support you’re seeking is already within you. ~ Gabby Bernstein
- “Watch how you talk to yourself. Be gentle and kind; results don’t happen overnight.”
- “Stop hating yourself for the person you aren’t, and start loving yourself for the person you are. You are a work in progress, not a finished product.”
- “In addition to paying attention to what you say to yourself, try to be attentive to the way you talk to yourself. Try to change your inner tone of voice.”
- “You can’t fail if you’re trying. As long as you’re trying, you’re doing fine. The only times you’re failing is when you’re not trying.” ~ Megan Thee Stallion
- “You should feel beautiful and you should feel safe. What you surround yourself with should bring you peace of mind and peace of spirit.” ~ Stacy London
- “There will always be people who don’t believe in you, but that doesn’t matter as long as you believe in yourself.”
- “Once you truly believe you’re worthy of love, you will never settle for anyone’s second best treatment.” ~ Charles J. Orlando
- “Start listening to the ways you talk to yourself. These interactions will tell you how well you know yourself, how much you respect yourself, and what boundaries you are lacking.” ~ Sara Kuburic
- “Perfection is static, and I am in full progress.” ~ Anais Nin
- “I stopped looking for someone to love me. I became that person instead.” ~ Rudy Francisco
- “No other version, no matter how perfect it is, would ever feel better than being your true self.” ~ Edmond Mbiaka
- “A person learns how to love themselves through the simple acts of loving and being loved by someone else.” ~ Haruki Murakami
- “You are the only you. You are the best you. You will always be the second best anyone else.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
- “Self-compassion springs from an eternal well. The more you drink from it, the sooner it fills back up.”
- “Strong people have a strong sense of self-worth and self-awareness; they don’t need the approval of others.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “Love yourself unconditionally, just as you love those closest to you despite their faults.” ~ Les Brown
- “Become more committed to seeing what’s right about you than you are to seeing what’s wrong about you, and soon you’ll realize how powerful you are.” ~ Scott Stabile
- “You are not alone. You are not weak. You are brass and cold and stronger than this temporary turmoil that you are going through.” ~ Callie Bowld
- “We must not become enemies with ourselves in order to make friends with others.” ~ Shraga Silverstein
- “When you decide that you’re going to tend to this gap between who you are now and who you want to become, life will take a new form and shape for you.” ~ Abraham Hicks
Hopefully, these self compassion quotes have hammered home the fact that compassion isn’t just ‘nice-to-have,’ but a ‘need to have.’
Self compassion isn’t about ignoring your flaws. It’s about treating yourself with the same kindness and understanding you’d offer a good friend.
If your friend was struggling with something, would you constantly belittle them and diminish their self-worth?
Of course not! You’d offer a helping hand and show them a better path forward.
So if you take away one thing from this article, let it be this: life’s too short to be your own worst enemy.
Work daily to make self-compassion your default setting, and watch how this simple act transforms your outlook on life.
You May Also Like These Articles: