In case you needed a reminder, you are important! Yes, you’re on this planet because you can bring value to the world and those in it.
Do you actually feel like this is true right now though?
Because the fact of that matter is that the turbulence of life can make us feel small.
It’s easy to think that you’re not important when the promotion you’ve been working for is given to someone else.
It’s easy to think you’re not important when you feel isolated from the world around you and lack social connection.
It’s easy to think you’re not important when you’re dealing with financial difficulties that are pouring additional stress into your life.
But the truth is no matter what you’re facing, you are important. Nothing life throws at you can erase the undeniable truth that who you are and what you do matters.
Why Is It Important To Be Who You Are?
You weren’t put on this earth to be the smallest possible version of yourself. You were put here to feel alive to have a positive impact on the world.
The only way you can achieve that is by being the real you. Being the unfiltered, authentic version of yourself is difficult to do, but it’s ultimately what will bring the greatest level of satisfaction to your life.
The reason why it’s so difficult to be who you really are is because it takes courage.
Being the real you requires that you take risks and face your fears so that you learn the true extent of your capabilities.
Being the real you means speaking up and expressing your true feelings, even if there’s a chance you’ll feel vulnerable or upset with other people.
Being the real you means pushing through the rationalizations and excuses that stop you from taking action towards your goals.
That’s the version of you that the world needs. And by acting out your true beliefs and intentionson a daily basis, the people in your circle will feel inspired to follow in your footsteps.
6 Reasons Why You Are Important
Life likes to measure the size of someone by throwing challenges their way, and it becomes easier to tackle these challenges when you fundamentally believe that you are important.
If you don’t feel like you are important, how are you supposed to overcome them? What’s the point of pushing yourself out of your comfort zone if you don’t believe your actions matter to the world around you?
Here’s a few powerful reminders that you are amazing even if the struggles of life have been trying to convince you otherwise.
#1: It’s A Miracle That You Were Born
400 trillion to one.
Nope, those aren’t the odds of you winning the lottery or dating your celebrity crush, those are the odds of you becoming a human being.
The sheer absurdity of your life is why it matters so much. You’ve been given a precious gift and it’s on you to make something out of it.
You could’ve come into this world as anything — a dog, a tree, a lizard, a lion, etc. But instead, you came into this world as a human being with unlimited potential.
The quicker you begin to appreciate how lucky you are to be here, the easier it will be to start believing that your life has tremendous value.
#2: People Are Counting On You
Everyone reading this has people who are counting on them.
For some of you, your children are looking to you as a role model. They’re watching your every move in order to learn how to orient themselves properly in the world.
For those of you without children, your friends are looking up to you because they have dreams and goals of their own, and you chasing yours will inspire them to chase theirs.
The bottom line is that you are important because you have people who rely on you. You have the power to create your own happiness and inspire others to do the same.
By becoming the best version of yourself, you can expand other’s people’s perspective of what’s possible for them, and that’s a really cool thing to think about.
#3: You Have A Unique Destiny To Fulfill
Every one of you reading this has a destiny to chase.
You may not know what it is at the moment, but it’s out there waiting for you to chase it. The people who change the world know deep down that they’re here for a specific purpose, and they design their lives around that purpose.
The only way you can realize that destiny is by adopting the belief that you are important, and then taking positive action towards your goals.
Because if you go through life underestimating your value, you’ll struggle to take action. And if you struggle to take action, you’ll never be able to make your unique contribution to the world.
#4: Your Actions Can Inspire The World
Think about the people that inspire you for a second.
If you’re a basketball player, maybe you idolize players like Lebron James or Michael Jordan.
If you’re an entrepreneur, maybe you look up to people like Gary Vaynerchuk or Elon Musk.
If you have a passion for finance, maybe it’s people like Warren Buffett or Ray Dalio.
We all have people we look up to that influence our interests, pursuits, and choices. Now here’s the really cool part — these people are no different than you.
It’s really easy to lose sight of the fact that the people you idolize are just like you.
They have insecurities just like you do. They struggle to break bad habits just like you do. They’ve been through their own struggles in life.
Yet, they’ve found a way to make up for these natural human flaws by adding value to the world through their craft — whether it’s business, fashion, music, etc.
Your shortcomings are not meant to make you feel like you’re not important, they are there to prove that despite your flaws, you can tread your own path to greatness.
And if there’s one thing that you have in common with the legends you look up to, it’s that you both have 24 hours each day to make that happen.
#5: You’re One Of A Kind
The current population of the world currently sits at 7.9 billion people, and not a single one of them possesses the same DNA sequence that you do.
Sure, there’s people who share similar features and similar personality traits, but it’s not a cliche to highlight that you are truly one of a kind.
You are important and unique because you won’t find anyone in the world who is the exact same person as you are.
#6: You Get One Shot To Be The Best You
The only thing that you’re guaranteed in this life is that you’re not going to make it out alive. At some point you’re going to die, and the only thing people will remember is what you leave behind.
Now you may believe that you get another shot at life. If that’s what you believe, I’m not one to tell you any different.
However, doesn’t it make sense to live your life like you only get one chance at it?
Because let’s suppose that you do return to this world after you die, it’s almost a certainty that you come back as a completely different person.
Born of different parents. Containing different genetic material. Possessing different character traits and different passions.
For now, the only thing you know for sure is who you are right now and who you could become in the future.
The world doesn’t need the second coming of you. It may need that in the future, but right now it needs you to recognize your potential and act on it.
Quotes To Remind You That You Are Important
We’ve already outlined some pretty compelling reasons why you are important, but if you need some further inspiration, here’s a list of inspirational quotes that highlight the power that lies within you.
- “If you’re struggling today, remember that life is worth living and believe that the best is yet to come. Remember that you are loved, you matter, and never forget that there is always hope.” ~ Germany Kent
- “Though you are as a drop in the ocean, without you, the universe would be empty.” ~ Matshona Dhliwayo
- “It is you who is the most important in your life.” ~ Debasish Mridha
- “Your comeback story can inspire the world. You are needed on this planet.” ~ Hiral Nagda
- “Making yourself a priority is like sprinkling golden dust of richest blessings on your life.” ~ Hiral Nagda
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” ~ Buddha
- “You cannot change what you are, only what you do.” ~ Philip Pullman
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” ~ Steve Jobs
- “You are so much stronger than you realize. Don’t let anyone ever tell you that you’re not. Not even you.” ~ J.W. Lynne
- “Remain true to your deepest values. If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.” ~ Frank Sonneberg
- “You always pass failure on your way to success.” ~ Mickey Rooney
- “You matter as much as the things that matter to you do.” ~ John Green
- “You are important. Never forget that for as long as you live.” ~ Unknown
- “You matter. That smile you shared could be the sun on someone’s darkest day.” ~ Amy Leigh Mercree
- “No matter what your age, or what your circumstances might be, you are special, and you still have something unique to offer. Your life, because of who you are, has meaning.” ~ Barbara De Angelis
- “You matter. How you feel matters. What you say, do, and think matters. It all matters.” ~ Richelle E. Goodrich
- “You are worth finding, worth knowing, and worth loving. You and all your one million layers. Always hold that close.” ~ Danielle Doby
- “Your personal growth is the only thing that matters. You own and write your story; no one else does. Believe in your unique steps up the mountain.” ~ Brittany Burgunder
Regardless of what you’re going through right now, you must subscribe to the belief that you are important. If you don’t, you’ll leave this world full of regrets, never finding out the impact you could have had on it.
Because the truth is that you are here to make an impact.
And if you have the courage to take action, face your fears, and expand your comfort zone, then you’ll find yourself in the rarified air of people who die knowing that they didn’t leave anything to chance.
The life you want is out there — it’s just waiting for your courage to catch up to it.