Do you ever feel like your actions are being driven by what’s best for everyone except yourself? This can be an easy trap to fall into in life, especially when you consider that we’re hard-wired to seek the approval of others
However, living for yourself is one of the most important components of living a fulfilling life. Because when it comes down to it, human nature suggests that people are always going to put their own happiness above yours.
That’s why I’ve decided to compile a list of quotes about living for yourself that will motivate you to put yourself first and live a more authentic life.
Let these quotes serve as a reminder to free yourself from the expectations of others and stay true to yourself as you pursue the life you want.
Let’s jump in!
Motivational Quotes About Living For Yourself
- “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” ~ Harv Fierstein
- “Don’t put yourself down just to avoid criticism, to please others, or to show your “kindness.” The world needs light, not mediocrity.” ~ Paulo Coehlo
- “It is important to find our significance not from thinking other people have it better but from being the person we want to be.” ~ Jay Shetty
- “Your mental and emotional health should be a priority. Distance yourself from anyone who threatens them.”
- “Live for yourself and don’t ever stop.” ~ John Tew
- ‘Until you cross the bridge of your insecurities, you can’t begin to explore your possibilities.” ~ Tim Fargo
- “Believe in yourself and go for it.” ~ Emma Watson
- “Your life is going to be so much more enjoyable once you let go of justifying your actions to everyone else.”
- “Stop wasting time worrying about what people think about you. Live your one life the way you want to. Don’t let the opinions of others become your reality or your arrow of direction.” ~ Karen Salmansohn
- “The most important relationship in your life is the one you have with yourself. The right person for you right now might be you.” ~ Mel Robbins
- “Do one thing at a time, and while doing it put your whole soul into it to the exclusion of all else.” ~ Swami Vivekananda
- “I always tell young people that if they have a dream, they should pursue it with all their heart.” ~ Charles K. Kao
- “Virtually nothing is impossible in this world if you just put your mind to it and maintain a positive attitude.” ~ Lou Holtz
- “Love yourself enough to put in the time and effort to make your dreams reality.”
- “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” ~ Jordan Belfort
- “If you really want people to believe in you, then go out and build something great.” ~ Andy Frisella
- “Start off small and build each day. Overwhelming yourself will stunt your growth.”
- “Challenge yourself with something you never thought you could do, and what you’ll find is that you can overcome anything.”
- “Focus on your goal. Don’t look in any direction but ahead.”
- “I am a survivor, not a victim.” ~ Kiyoshi Kuromiya
- “Don’t let the things of the world distract you. Focus on your purpose.” ~ Sunday Adelaja
- “The most important thing is this; to be able at any moment to sacrifice what you are for what you will become.” ~ Eric Thomas
More Inspiring Quotes About Living For Yourself
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s some more inspirational quotes about living for yourself.
- “Surround yourself with positive people who believe in your dreams, encourage your ideas, support your ambitions, and bring out the best in you.” ~ Roy Bennett
- “If you give too much of yourself to others, you leave nothing for yourself.”
- “He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.” ~ Viktor Frankl
- “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
- “Throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart…and you will find the happiness that you had thought could never be yours.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “You can’t change what’s going on around you until you change what’s going on within you.” ~ Inky Johnson
- “Life itself is a privilege. But to live life to the fullest — well that is a choice.” ~ Andy Andrews
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “Ten years from now, make sure you can say that you chose your life, you didn’t settle for it.” ~ Mandy Hale
- “It’s ok to say no. It’s ok to cancel plans. It’s ok to put yourself first.” ~ Paulo Coehlo
- “It’s not selfish to do what’s best for you.”
- “Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny inner spanks of possibility into flames of achievement.” ~ Golda Meir
- “You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.” ~ Michael Jordan
- “Start your day with this simple question; what is the greatest ideal of myself that I can be today?” ~ Joe Dispenza
- “If you live for others’ acceptance, you’ll die from their rejection.”
- “One of the greatest realizations in life is when you decide to live for yourself and no one else.”
- “Ignore all hatred and criticism. Live for what you create, and die protecting it.’ ~ Lady Gaga
- “If there’s one thing I learned, it’s that nobody is here forever. You have to live for yourself each and every day.” ~ Simone Elkeles
- “When you live for a strong purpose, then hard work isn’t an option. It’s a necessity.” ~ Steve Pavlina
- “When you put in the work, you make yourself who you want to be.”
- “I think that by staying true to myself and making music from my heart, the blessings come.” ~ Bad Bunny
Powerful Quotes About Living Life For Yourself
Let’s wrap up this list with some of the most powerful quotes about living for yourself and prioritizing your success.
Feel free to also check out these comfort zone quotes if you’re looking for more inspiration.
- “The hardest walk is walking alone, but it’s also the walk that makes you the strongest.”
- “Focus on you until the focus is on you.”
- “Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won’t have a title until much later.
- “You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “Don’t give up on your dreams, or your dreams will give up on you.” ~ John Wooden
- “Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons.” ~ Denzel Washington
- “The secret to life is to put yourself in the right lighting. For some, it’s a Broadway spotlight, for others, a lamplit desk.” ~ Susan Cain
- “Every single day you should wake up and commit yourself to becoming a better person.”
- “The only difference between where you are and where you want to be is the steps you haven’t taken yet.”
- Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” ~ Dr. Suess
- “Anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you.” ~ David White
- “Don’t fear failure, fear being in the exact same place next year as you are today.”
- “Don’t let your fear of what others say about you keep you from doing something you’re excited about.”
- “Pay attention to your patterns. The way you learned to survive may not be the way you want to continue to live.” ~ Dr. Thema Bryant Davis
- “Be the hardest working person you can be. That’s how you separate yourself from the competition.” ~ Stephen Curry
- “This is your life. You are responsible for it. You will not live forever. Don’t wait.” ~ Natalie Goldberg
- “When it feels scary to jump, that is exactly when you jump. Otherwise, you end up staying in the same place your whole life.” ~ Abel Morales
- “If you’re a workaholic, there’s no telling how successful you can end up becoming.” ~ Young Dolph
- “When you start living in integrity with who you actually are, instead of who you think you should be, everything changes.”
- “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” ~ James Dean
- “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, it’s to create something that will.” ~ Chuck Palahniuk
- “Intentional living is the art of making our choices before others make our choices for us.” ~ Richie Norton
- “Don’t let anything hold you back. Not a friendship. Not a relationship. Not even your parents.” ~ Polo G
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this powerful collection of quotes about living for yourself!
Remember that in life, you are the only one who can make yourself happy. Other people may contribute to your happiness, but ultimately the burden of self-fulfillment falls on you.
And no matter how you’ve lived up until this point, know that it’s never too late to start living for yourself and pursuing the things that make you feel alive.
As C.S. Lewis famously said, “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.”
So as this article comes to a close, don’t be afraid to engage in a little bit of self-analysis. Think about the areas of your life where your actions are being driven by fear, shame, or a desire to please others.
And once you’ve identified where you’re self-sabotaging, make a vow to never let those factors drive your decisions again.
You May Also Like These Articles: