If you’re wandering through life without clear goals, you’re not truly living.
Goals give our life meaning and purpose – they serve as the antidote to the struggle and pain that we put ourselves through to achieve them.
After all, you can’t get what you want if you don’t aim at it.
There’s nothing stopping you from achieving your goals and dreams, but sometimes we all need a kick-in-the ass to get us to take action when we’re feeling demotivated.
Below is a huge list of quotes about goals to give you that spark of motivation that you’re looking for. Use these words as inspiration to make some progress today on the goals that you’ve been pursuing.
Will These Quotes About Goals Actually Make A Difference?
The truth is that quotes about goals don’t serve as a magic pill that springs you into action. You still have to develop self-discipline and put in the work. However, that doesn’t mean that motivational quotes have no value
I have a quote on my phone’s lock screen that says, “Yesterday you said tomorrow.” It serves as a constant reminder that delaying action and choosing immediate gratification will only lead to more of the same the following day.
So yes, motivational quotes can make a difference as long as you use them properly. If you read this article and then do nothing, then they won’t make a difference.
I have motivational quotes on my computer lock screen, my bathroom, and right above my desk too. It sounds cheesy, but when I’m sitting at my desk and not feeling it, a mini kick-in-the-ass is sometimes all that’s needed for me to get back on track.
Quotes About Goal Setting
There are differentiating factors to consider when setting goals. First, you have to think about what you want in the short-term and the long-term. If you set a huge long-term goal but don’t have any smaller, more achievable goals set as progress points then you’l; overwhelmed by your aim.
You also have to make sure that your goals are actually aligned with your values. Setting goals is not just about prioritizing material things like money and fame, you’ve gotta go deeper and align them with the things that are important to you.
Here’s a list of quotes about goals that will help adopt the right mindset towards goal-setting.
- “People are not lazy, they just have impotent goals – that is, goals that do not inspire them.” ~ Tony Robbins
- “All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible.” ~ Orison Swett Marden
- “The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.” ~ Bill Copeland
- “A goal properly set is halfway reached.” ~ Zig Ziglar
- “You must determine where you are going in your life, because you cannot get there unless you move in that direction. Random wandering will not move you forward.” ~ Jordan Peterson
- “You should set goals beyond your reach so that you always have something to live for.” ~ Ted Turner
- “What would you attempt to do if you knew that you could not fail?” ~ Robert H Schuller
- “Your goals are the roadmaps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life.” ~ Les Brown
- “If you aim for nothing, you’ll hit it every time.” ~ Unknown
- “Setting goals is the first step towards turning the invisible into the visible.” ~ Tony Robbins
- “Everybody has their own Mount Everest. We were put on this earth to climb.” ~ Seth Godin
- “It’s not enough to take steps which someday may lead to a goal; each step itself must be a goal and a step likewise.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going.” ~ Earl Nightingale
- “I don’t have dreams, I have goals.” ~ Harvey Specter
- “The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.” ~ Steve Jobs
- “Decide whether or not the goal is worth the risks involved. If it is, stop worrying.” ~ Amelia Earhart
- “It’s better to be at the bottom of the ladder that you want to climb than at the top of the one you don’t.” ~ Stephen Kellogg
- “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” ~ Unknown
- “To sit back and let fate play its hand out and never influence it is not the way man was meant to operate.” ~ John Glenn
- “Write down things you want to improve. Write down things you don’t want to tolerate from yourself. Write down things you never want to see yourself do again.” ~ Joe Rogan
- “Without dreams and goals, there is no living, only merely existing, and that is not why we are here.” ~ Mark Twain
- “Most impossible goals can be met simply by breaking them down into bite-size chunks, writing them down, believing them, and going full speed ahead as if they were routine.” ~ Don Lancaster
- “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.” ~ Andrew Carnegie
- “A goal is not always meant to be reached: if often serves simply as something to aim at.” ~ Bruce Lee
- “Goals are dreams with deadlines.” ~ Diana Scharf
- “Goals transform a random walk into a chase.” ~ Mihaly Csikszentmihayli
- “If you set your goals ridiculously high and it’s a failure, you will fail above everyone else’s success.” ~ James Cameron
- “Success is the progressive realization of predetermined, worthwhile, personal goals.” ~ Paul J. Meyer
- “Set realistic goals, keep re-evaluating, and be consistent.” ~ Venus Williams
- “Great goals make great people. People cannot hit what they do not aim for.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “If you get clear on the what, the how will be taken care of.” ~ Jack Canfield
- “When you cease to dream you cease to live.” ~ Malcolm S. Forbes
- “When you set a goal, your brain opens up a task list.” ~ Mel Robbins
Quotes About Achieving Your Goals
Let’s start off this list of quotes about goals with some powerful words of wisdom about the power of achieving them. It’s not so much about what you get by achieving your goals, but more about the person you become in the process.
The new beliefs that you develop about yourself in the process of reaching the summit are what will allow you to continually make the climb over and over again.
- “A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward it’s achievement.” ~ Bo Bennett
- “What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “One part at a time, one day at a time, we can accomplish any goal that we set for ourselves.” ~ Karen Casey
- “You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight.” ~ Jim Rohn
- “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid that you will make one.” ~ Elbert Hubbard
- “Don’t let what you can’t do interfere with what you can do.” ~ John Wooden
- “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” ~ Joshua Marine
- “It’s not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.” ~ Edmund Hillary
- “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ~ Confucius
- “If you have a dream, you can spend a lifetime studying, planning, and getting ready for it. What you should be doing is getting started.” ~ Drew Houston
- “It’s good to have a journey to have an end to journey toward: but it is the journey that matters in the end.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
- “A year from now you’ll wish you had started today.” ~ Karen Lamb
- “Successful people do things that the average person is not willing to do. They make sacrifices the average person is not willing to make. But the difference it makes is extraordinary.” ~ Brian Tracy
- “You never know what’s around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you’ve climbed a mountain.” ~ Tom Hiddleston
- “The real value of setting and achieving goals lies not in the rewards you receive but in the person you become as a result of reaching your goals.” ~ Robin Sharma
- “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” ~ Henry Ford
- “Dreams don’t work unless you do.” ~ Unknown
- “Intention without action is an insult to those who expect the best from you.” ~ Andy Andrews
- “If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.” ~ Dr. Roopleen
- It’s not about getting out of your comfort zone to reach your goal. It’s about widening your comfort zone so far that your goal fits comfortably inside. Once you do that, hitting your goals will be like hitting 3’s for Steph Curry.” ~ Richie Norton
- “Go as far as you can see; when you get there you’ll be able to see farther.” ~ J.P. Morgan
- “If the plan doesn’t work, change the plan but never the goal.” ~ Unknown
- “If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t step forward, you are always in the same place.” ~ Nora Roberts
- “The mystery of human existence lies not just in staying alive, but in finding something to live for.” ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- “You can’t hit a home run unless you step up to the plate. You can’t catch a fish unless you put your line in the water. You can’t reach your goals if you don’t try.” ~ Kathy Seligman
Career Goals Quotes
It’s important to have clearly defined career goals if you want to be fulfilled and successful in your job.
First, you have to make sure that you actually like your job in the first place. Because if you don’t, you may need to set goals that revolve around setting up a lifestyle where you can quit your dreaded 9-5.
However, what if you like your job? Well, then make the most out of it and get really clear on your path forward.
Figure out exactly what you need to do to advance and take small steps forward every day. Achieving your goals isn’t so much about the leaps and bounds, it’s about the consistent baby steps that lead to success.
To wrap up this list, here are some quotes about goals related to making the most out of your career.
- “Find out what you like doing best, and get someone to pay you for doing it.” ~ Katharine Whitehorn
- “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.” ~ Steve Jobs
- “There is no passion to be found in playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” ~ Nelson Mandela
- “Whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy.” ~ Paulo Coehlo
- “There is only one way to avoid criticism: Do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.” ~ Elbert Hubbard
- “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.” ~ Stephen King
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” ~ C.S. Lewis
- “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” ~ Confucius
- “It’s not what you achieve, it’s what you overcome. That’s what defines your career.” ~ Carlton Fisk
- “Your true success in life begins only when you make the commitment to become excellent at what you do,” ~ Brian Tracy
- “The secret of joy in work is contained in one word – excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.” ~ Pearl Buck
- “Even though your time on the job is temporary, if you do a good enough job, your work will last there forever.” ~ Idowu Koyenikan
- “Don’t confuse having a career with having a life.” ~ Hillary Rodham Clinton
- “The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring that we call luck.” ~ Tony Robbins
- “You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do.” ~ Henry Ford
- “Every time I’ve gotten in trouble, it’s because I’m choosing a project based on a long-term career goal as opposed to something that speaks to me in the present moment.” ~ Ryan Reynolds
- “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
- “When you have a passion for something then you tend to not only be better at it, but you work harder at it too.” ~ Vera Wang
- “A great leader’s courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.” ~ John C. Maxwell
- “You have to be burning with an idea, or a problem, or a wrong that you want to right. If you’re not passionate enough from the start, you’ll never stick it out.” ~ Steve Jobs
- “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
- “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” ~ Ayn Rand
Final Thoughts On These Quotes About Goals
After reading this list of quotes about goals, you may be feeling fired up and motivated to take action.
Unfortunately, this surge that you’re feeling is only temporary. These quotes won’t do much for you long-term if you read this article and then do nothing.
However, I’m guessing that a few quotes on this list resonated with you. If that’s the case, then feel free to surround yourself with these quotes and let them serve as reminders of the things you’re chasing.
Throw one on your lock screen so that it’s the first thing that you see when you check your phone in the morning. Make one of them your computer background. Hang one right above your desk.
It may seem silly and unnecessary, but it’s also possible that these environment design techniques provide the extra push you need to keep climbing the mountain towards your most ambitious goals.