Sometimes, hard hitting quotes can provide us with the wake up call that we need to get back on track.
If you’re trying to live a meaningful life, you’ve opted for a difficult journey. You’re gonna have to get in the mud and make discomfort your best friend. You’re gonna have to welcome challenges and embrace failures.
In other words, achieving your biggest goals is a brutal endeavor. If you’re in the smack-dab in the middle of this endeavor, then the following hard hitting quotes are for you.
Use these inspirational quotes that hit hard as fuel for your journey.
Hard Hitting Quotes About Life
Let’s kick off this list of hard hitting quotes with some powerful words about the harsh nature of life.
If you’re on the war path towards your goals right now, then they’ll definitely hit home.
- “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” ~ Theodor Seuss Geisel
- “Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” ~ Les Brown
- “Never hit you can help it, but when you have to, hit hard. Never hit soft. You’ll never get any thanks for hitting soft.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
- “Many times life will hit you hard, knock you down, and hurt you. Persevere, Never give up, and do your best to get up and Keep Going.” ~ John Cena
- “Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them – a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.” ~ Muhammad Ali
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” ~ Mark Twain
- “Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they are doing. Do things without always knowing how they’ll turn out. You’re curious and smart and bored, and all you see is the choice between working hard and slacking off. There are so many adventures that you miss because you’re waiting to think of a plan. “ ~ Randall Munroe
- “The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” ~ William Faulkner
- “Life has many ways of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once.” ~ Paulo Coehlo
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” ~ Joshua J. Marine
- “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” ~ Henry Ford
- “Meet problems and obstacles as they arise. The test of a successful person is not the ability to eliminate all problems before he takes action, but rather the ability to find solutions to difficulties when he encounters them.” ~ David J. Schwartz
- “And hard times are good in their own way, too. Because the only way you can achieve true happiness is if you experience true sadness as well. It’s all about light and shade. Balance.” ~ Gabrielle Williams
- “Stand up to an obstacle. Just stand up to it, that’s all, and don’t give way under it, and it will finally break. You will break it. Something has to break, and it won’t be you, it will be the obstacle.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale
- “Psychology says, always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to help you grow.” ~ Hey Fran Hey
- “Once you hit rock bottom, that’s where you perfectly stand; That’s your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.” ~ Justin Kanayurak
- “Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity.” ~ Lou Holtz
- “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” ~ Michael Jordan
- “We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” ~ Carlos Casteneda
- “Resilience is very different than being numb. Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt. You fall. But, you keep going.” — Yasmin Mogahed
- “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
- “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” ~ Randy Pausch
- “Work for that feeling that you have accomplished something..Don’t waste your time on this earth without making a mark.” ~ Joe Rogan
- “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” ~ Harriet Tubman
More Short Quotes That Hit Hard
Although the following hard hitting quotes are shorter in length, they pack the same kind of punch.
- “Every strength is also a weakness. The opposite is true as well.” ~ Neil Strauss
- “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” ~ Robert Frost
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” ~ John Wooden
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” ~ Abraham Lincoln
- “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” ~ Haruki Murakami
- “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” ~ Winston Churchill
- “Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn.” ~ C.S. Lewis
- “Always remember that you’re one decision away from a completely different life.” ~ Mel Robbins
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” ~ Confucius
- “If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.” ~ Frank A. Clark
- “Initiative is doing the right thing without being told.” ~ Victor Hugo
- “Although the world is full of suffering, the world is also full of overcoming it.” ~ Helen Keller
- “When you have something to say, silence is a lie.” ~ Jordan Peterson
- “Don’t let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning.” ~ Robert Kiyosaki
- “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out.” ~ Robert Collier
- “If you are not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” ~ Jim Rohn
Hard Hitting Quotes About The Power Of Your Mind
A strong mindset can be an incredible asset when we’re facing challenges. People with loads of mental toughness embrace the difficult moments, because they perceive them as an opportunity to grow.
Weak people run away from these moments. They find a way to avoid them at all costs and let fear of failure trump their desire for achievement.
Use the following hard hitting quotes to get your mindset where it needs to be.
- “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.” ~ Marcus Aurelius
- “If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.” ~ Peace Pilgrim
- “Remember that stress doesn’t come from what’s going on in your life. It comes from your thoughts about what’s going on in your life.” ~ Andrew J. Bernstein
- “Bad things happen to us to teach us how to look at good things in a whole new light.” ~ Unknown
- “If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.” ~ Tim Ferriss
- “It’s not what you look at that matters, but what you see.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
- “You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.” ~ James Allen
- “Your positive action combined with positive thinking results in success.” ~ Shiv Khera
- “The mind is everything. What you think you become.” ~ Buddha
- “When you become the master of your mind, you are master of everything.” ~ Swami Satchidananda
- “Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion will one day become a reality.” ~ Earl Nightingale
- “You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be.” ~ Marianne Williamson
- “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” ~ Marcus Aurelius
- “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at eighty or twenty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.” ~ Henry Ford
- “Every human mind is a great slumbering power until awakened by a keen desire and by definite resolution to do.” ~ Edgar Roberts
- “Fear doesn’t exist anywhere but in the mind.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” ~ Rosa Parks
- “If you leave your mind unattended, the world will do it for you, and you will have to deal with the related insanity.” ~ Dr. Jacinta Mpalyenkana
- “Our mind is like a cloudy sky: in essence clear and pure, but overcast by clouds of delusions. Just as the thickest clouds can disperse, so too, even the heaviest delusions can be removed from our mind.” ~ Kelsang Gyatso
Hard Hitting Quotes About Success
Each day, you’re either moving along the success curve or the failure curve. The choices that lead to success are those small, seemingly insignificant choices that we make every day.
What makes success even more challenging is that our positive actions have a delayed return.
If you go to the gym for a week, you’re not gonna lose any weight. If you write every single day for a week, you’re not going to become a published author.
There’s no immediate feedback loop that tells us we’re on the right path. That’s the toughest part about success — you have to keep putting in the work when you’re not seeing results.
This is the tipping point where most people quit. And as a result, they never get to see the magical power of compound interest applied to their own actions.
Here are some hard hitting quotes about success that will motivate you to keep pushing even when you’re not seeing the fruits of your labor.
- “Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.” ~ John Wooden
- “The universe rewards the decisive.” ~ Karen Salmansohn
- “When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” ~ Eric Thomas
- “The most glorious moments in your life are not the so-called days of success, but rather those days when out of dejection and despair you feel rise in you a challenge to life, and the promise of future accomplishments.” ~ Gustave Flaubert
- “The majority of people are ready to throw their aims and purposes overboard and give up at the first sign of opposition or misfortune. A few carry on despite all opposition until they attain their goal. These few are the Fords, Carnegies, Rockefellers, and Edisons.” ~ Napoleon Hill
- “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” ~ Thomas Edison
- “The greater the difficulty, the more glory in summoning it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests.” ~ Epictetus
- “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.” ~ Albert Einstein
- “Success is such a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.” ~ Bill Gates
- “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” ~ Pele
- “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” ~ Winston Churchill
- “Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.” ~ Napoleon Hill
- “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.” ~ Stephen King
- “Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.” ~ Swami Sivananda
- “Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success, that is the way great spiritual giants are produced.” ~ Swami Vivekananda
- “Success is simple. Do what’s right, the right way, at the right time.” ~ Arnold H. Glasgow
- “Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds.” ~ Orison Swett Marden
- “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” ~ Wayne Dyer
- “People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed. Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy.” ~ Tony Robbins
- “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.” ~ Vince Lonbardi
- “Success is often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.” ~ Coco Chanel
- “The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.” ~ Bruce Lee
- “What is success? It is being able to go to bed each night with your soul at peace.” ~ Paul Coehlo
Hard Hitting Quotes About Relationships
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “Just because you miss someone doesn’t mean you should be with them.” ~ Unknown
- “Be slow in choosing a friend, slower in changing.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
- “In the end we won’t remember the most beautiful face and body. We’ll remember the most beautiful heart and soul.” ~ Unknown
- “Don’t focus on who let you down. Appreciate who lifted you up. Don’t focus on who darkened your days. Appreciate who brightened them.” ~ Karen Salmansohn
- “You who suffer because you love, love still more. To die of love, is to live by it.” ~ Victor Hugo
- “It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends.” ~ J.K. Rowling
- “I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.” ~ Robin Williams
- “Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.” ~ William James
- “Anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you.” ~ Misty Copeland
- “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” ~ Mark Twain
- “Don’t wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.” ~ Mark Victor Hansen
- “If you don’t value your time, neither will others. Stop giving away your time and talents. Value what you know and start charging for it.” ~ Kim Garst
- “Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they’re trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take.” ~ Tony Robbins
- “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “It’s not what we have in life that matters, but who we have in our life that matters.” ~ Unknown
- “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
- “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.” ~ Elisabeth Foley
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ~ Dr. Seuss
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ~ Lao Tzu
Hard Hitting Quotes From Movies & TV Shows
Sometimes, we watch certain tv shows or movies and there are some quotes that hit hard. Here are some of the most well-known, hard hitting quotes from the screen.
Maybe you’ll recognize some of them:)
- “You, me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.” ~ Rocky Balboa (Rocky)
- “It ain’t how hard you can hit. It’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” ~ Rocky Balboa (Rocky)
- “Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.” ~ Rocky Balboa (Rocky)
- “Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn’t mean they’re lost forever.” ~ Professor X (X-Men)
- ‘We can’t retract the decisions we’ve made. We can only affect the decisions we’re going to make from here.” ~ Nick Rice (Law Abiding Citizen)
- “Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.” ~ Alan Turing (The Imitation Game)
- “Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about” ~ Harvey Specter
- “It gets easier. Every day it gets a little easier. But you gotta do it every day, that’s the hard part.” ~ Jogging Babboon (Bojack Horseman)
- “After all, tomorrow is another day.” ~ Gone With The Wind
- “Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.” ~ Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones)
- “I figure life’s a gift and I don’t intend on wasting it. You don’t know what hand you’re gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you…to make each day count.” ~ Titanic
- “The night is darkest just before the dawn, but I assure you, the dawn is coming.” ~ Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight)
- “Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” ~ 10 Things I Hate About You
- “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” ~ The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
- “A wise man can learn more from his enemies than a fool from his friends.” ~ Niki Lauda (Rush)
- “Every man dies, but not every man really lives.” ~ William Wallace
- “Our deepest fear is not that we’re inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.” ~ Coach Carter
- “The way it works is, you do the thing that you’re scared shitless of, and you get the courage AFTER you do it, not before you do it.” ~ Archie Gates
- “When a defining moment comes along, you can do one of two things. Define the moment, or let the moment define you.” ~ Roy McAvoy (Tin Cup)
I hope you enjoyed this extensive list of hard hitting quotes about life.
Success is not an easy path, and we all need a little kick-in-the-ass sometimes. Hopefully these quotes that hit hard provide that extra ounce of motivation when you need it most.
If you’re looking for some more motivational quotes to fire you up, feel free to check out these other articles as well: