Sticking to a consistent fitness regimen is just as much of a mental battle as it is a physical one.
Because let’s face it, you’re probably only going to feel like going to the gym 40% of the time, and that’s being generous.
So if you’re going to become physically fit, you must learn to rely on discipline instead of motivation. The people who train every day are not motivated to train every day, they’ve simply learned to override their brain’s excuses with self-discipline.
If you find yourself struggling to be consistent at the gym, then you’ve come to the right place.
This article will cover an extensive list of fitness affirmations that will help you force yourself to the gym and get the body that you want.
Let’s dive in!
Fitness Affirmations To Get You To The Gym
If you’re reading this article, you probably have some fitness related goals that you want to achieve.
Maybe you’re looking to add fifteen pounds of muscle to your frame, or trim the belly fat that’s preventing you from fitting into your old clothes.
Whether or not you achieve these goals comes down to one thing — your ability to force yourself to work out regardless of how you’re feeling.
During those moments where working out is the last thing you feel like doing, it’s crucial that your self-talk is on point. It can make the difference between you getting after your fitness goals or sitting on the couch watching Netflix.
So without further ado, here’s a list of fitness affirmations that you can say to yourself when you’re battling your brain.
- I’m capable of forcing myself to the gym.
- I don’t need to feel like working out to take action.
- If I embrace discomfort now, I’ll be rewarded later.
- I’m no longer listening to my excuses.
- My dreams are bigger than my excuses.
- At this moment, I can choose discipline.
- I have an opportunity to get better right now.
- All of my fitness goals lie outside of my comfort zone.
- This is the moment where winners are built.
- I don’t need motivation to go to the gym, I’m a disciplined person.
- My success depends on what I decide to do right now.
- My body and mind are ready for a challenging workout.
- My body will repay me for my hard work.
- I’m fully committed to taking control of my fitness.
- I may not feel energized right now, but I will feel motivated if I take action.
- I’m winning the internal battle against my mind with each positive action.
- I deserve to feel healthy and content with my body.
- I am strong and powerful.
- I am capable of performing any workout that I set my mind to.
- I’m choosing action instead of stagnation.
- I’m committed to becoming the best version of myself.
- I refuse to let my emotions dictate whether or not I go to the gym.
- I’m an unstoppable force who can overcome internal resistance.
- My future self will thank me for implementing self-discipline right now.
- I will do whatever it takes to get in shape.
Post Workout Fitness Affirmations
When a behavior is followed by a reward, you are more likely to repeat that same behavior in the future.
So after you’ve completed a workout, it’s important to reward yourself with positive self-talk immediately after.
To that end, here’s a list of fitness affirmations that you can use to reward yourself for a job well done.
- I’m proud of what I’ve just accomplished.
- I will remember this feeling when I don’t want to workout.
- I’m energized and ready for the challenges ahead.
- Every completed workout moves me closer to the body that I want.
- My hard work will be rewarded in the future.
- I’m on the right path.
- My stamina and physical strength is improving with each workout.
- I’m growing into the person that I’m supposed to become.
- I’m only just getting started, there’s so much more that lies ahead for me.
- I’m never giving up on my fitness goals.
- Every day that I show up at the gym is a win.
- I feel like the best version of myself when I’m working hard in the gym.
- The pain that I just went through is making me stronger.
- What I’ve just done is so important for my mental and physical health.
- I can feel my body getting stronger each day.
- I will keep going no matter what.
Affirmations For Gym Anxiety
If you’re experiencing a little gym anxiety, that’s completely normal!
When I started to get serious about my fitness, I was a scrawny teenager who could barely lift the bar.
Naturally, I went through my first week of workouts believing that everyone was secretly laughing at me behind my back.
If you’re struggling with gym anxiety, remember that everyone starts somewhere (and also that no one really cares about you).
Believe me, everyone is too preoccupied with their own thoughts to care about your skinny arms or your belly fat.
With that in mind, here’s a list of fitness affirmations so you can fight back against any gym anxiety you’re currently experiencing.
- I accept that I’m having anxious thoughts, but also accept that I can take action in spite of them.
- I wouldn’t be feeling anxiety if my physical fitness didn’t matter to me.
- I’m stronger than my feelings.
- If I push through my fears daily, they will eventually start to go away.
- Embracing discomfort today will make me stronger tomorrow.
- Everyone is so consumed with their own thoughts that they don’t care about me.
- My brain is building this up to be bigger than it is.
- If I don’t push past my gym anxiety, I’ll never get the body I want.
- Feeling anxiety is a perfect opportunity to take action.
- I am worthy of a fit and healthy body.
- I can reduce anxiety by taking action.
- My doubts can be removed through action.
- I’m not weird for feeling gym anxiety, it’s a normal part of any new endeavor.
- Every one of my goals requires me to push past moments of anxiety and discomfort.
- I cannot control how I feel, but I can always control what I do.
How To Use These Affirmations For Fitness
Now that you’re armed with a bunch of fitness affirmations, you’re probably wondering when and where to deploy them for maximum effectiveness.
Well, the simple answer to that question is this — use them at the precise moments where you need them.
In my opinion, starting/ending your day with fitness affirmations won’t help you much.
Well, these aren’t really decisive moments. Decisive moments are those times when you’re faced with decisions that impact the trajectory of your day.
- You’re sitting on the couch watching Netflix and feel the urge to hit the gym.
- You want to grab your workout bag and head out the door but you’re experiencing some gym anxiety.
- You’re enjoying your morning coffee while also dreading the fact that you committed to going on a morning run.
The choices you make in these moments determine whether or not you achieve your fitness goals. If you really care about getting in better shape, these are the internal battles that you must win.
That’s why these are the precise moments where fitness affirmations will be the most powerful.
So pick a few of these affirmations and keep them on your phone or a piece of paper. And when you bump against internal resistance, take 30-45 seconds to repeat them to yourself.
If you can build a habit of doing this in moments of internal conflict, you’ll have an easier time winning the battle against your mind.
Final Thoughts On These Fitness Affirmations
I hope you enjoyed this article on fitness affirmations!
Like most things in life, the hardest part about fitness is starting. Once you’re at the gym, you don’t need much motivation to start lifting weights. Once you’re outside with your running shoes on, it’s not hard to start putting one foot in front of the other.
My hope is that these fitness affirmations will give you a subtle nudge in the right direction when your motivation isn’t there.
Because if you master the art of showing up regardless of your internal state, you’ll be well on your way to achieving your fitness goals.
You May Also Like These Articles: