There’s a common refrain in the personal development space that taking the first step is the hardest part of any journey.
But is this really true?
Think back to the last time you made a vow to change something about your life.
The time when you told yourself you were going to get in shape and start hitting the gym four times per week.
The time when you told yourself you were going to start taking positive steps to improve your personal relationships.
No need to beat yourself up, but it brings up an important point — if we’re really bad at starting things, we’re even worse at finishing them.
We get motivated to change. We set goals with the right intentions. But when that initial spark of motivation fades, we fall back into the same habits we vowed to avoid.
Here’s the good news; this doesn’t have to be your calling card. All it takes is a little persistence to bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be.
Because while quitting can become a habit, perseverance can too. So without further ado, here’s some finish strong quotes that will inspire you to keep going when things get hard.
Motivational Finish Strong Quotes
Let’s kick off this list with some powerful finish strong quotes that will motivate you to stay on track towards your goals.
- “Starting is not most people’s problem, staying, continuing and finishing is.” ~ Darren Hardy
- “We are not broken, we are just unfinished.” ~ Dawna Markova
- “Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “No one has a problem with the first mile of a journey. Even an infant could do fine for a while. But it isn’t the start that matters. It’s the finish line.” ~ Julien Smith
- “The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you finished.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
- “Aim to finish it today. Because tomorrow may not show up on your calendar.” ~ Mwanankeke Kindembo
- “As much as we learn the art of starting, we should also focus and learn the art of completing what we have started.” ~ Dr. Lucas D. Shallua
- “Beginning in itself has no value, it is an end which makes beginning meaningful, we must end what we begun.” ~ Amit Kalantri
- “Excitement starts the race, but discipline carries you to the finish line.”
- “To finish first, you must first finish.” ~ Rick Ravon Mears
- “When you can’t see the finish line, remind yourself why you started the race.”
- “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” ~ Winston Churchill
- “It’s one thing to have the faith to get started, but it’s another thing to have the fortitude to finish strong.” ~ Kami Dempsey
- “When the going gets tough, put one foot in front of the other and just keep going. Don’t give up.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “The secret is not following the right path, it’s following that right path to the end. Don’t quit, my friend, until you’ve arrived.” ~ Toni Sorrenson
- “Whatever it takes to finish things, finish. You will learn more from a glorious failure than you ever will from something you never finished.” ~ Neil Gaiman
- “A little at a time until less becomes more and more becomes less on the other side.” ~ Johnnie Dent Jr.
- “You don’t need new goals to finish the year strong…you need commitment and relentless execution to your existing ones.” ~ Gary Ryan Blair
- “The last thing you want to do is finish playing or doing anything and wish you would have worked harder.” ~ Derek Jeter quote
Inspirational Quotes About Finishing Strong
Enjoying this list of quotes so far? Then you may also enjoy these work ethic quotes.
If you’d just prefer to keep reading, then here’s some more inspirational quotes about finishing strong.
- “There are better starters than me but I’m a strong finisher.” ~ Usain Bolt
- “Start by planning, finish by hustling, and whatever you want can be yours.”
- “To have a wonderful day: start easy, stay happy, and finish strong.”
- “The hallmark of a disorganized individual is that they never finish what they start.” ~ Matthew Snider
- “If you can get through doing things you hate to do, on the other side is greatness.” ~ David Goggins quote
- “You wouldn’t train for a marathon and then give up a mile before the finish line. Same goes with your life & dreams.” ~ Dawn Gluskin
- “Waiters and quitters have a little difference; quitters begin well but do not finish it; waiters do not begin it at all. Don’t be part of their tragedy. Go, make it happen now!” ~ Israelmore Ayivor
- “Your power is centered on your ability to finish tasks started and not spend energy on other projects until the first is completed.”
- “It doesn’t matter how many people reach the finish line before you. Keep running until you reach it too.”
- “Disciplined, consistent, and persistent actions are more of a determining factor in the creation of success than any other combination of things.” ~ Grant Cardone quote
- “Start with small goals, then complete them. When you see yourself finishing small goals, the larger ones don’t seem so large.”
- “Motivation will have you finishing the mile. Discipline will have you running the marathon.”
- “Start strong, stay strong, and finish strong by always remembering why you’re doing it in the first place.” ~ Ralph Marston
- “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ~ C.S. Lewis
- “Success comes with consistency. Keep going. Even on the most challenging days.”
- “That’s all you can do in this world, no matter how strong the current beats against you, or how heavy your burden, or how tragic your story. You keep going.” ~ Robyn Schneider
- “The human spirit can handle much worse than we realize. It matters how you are going to finish. Are you going to finish strong?” ~ Nick Vujicic
Finish Strong Quotes About Never Giving Up
Let’s keep things rolling with some more finish strong quotes that will highlight the power of refusing to give up.
- “You simply have to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Put blinders on and plow right ahead.” ~ George Lucas
- “The hard part about writing a novel is finishing it.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
- “What matters most is to complete the journey.” ~ Lailah Gifty Akita
- “You’re going to have to work when you don’t feel like working. That’s how it’s going to have to be, or you’re never going to be anything.” ~ Andrew Tate quote
- “It does not matter how we start, it matters little the colossal mistakes we commit along the way. The only thing we will be judged by is how we finish” ~ Faisal Khosa
- “You don’t have to love it. You just have to believe it’s worth it in the end.” ~ Tim Grover quote
- “Why start something that you won’t see to the end? You need to finish what you start!” ~ Nabil Jamal
- “You have what it takes to finish excellently if you strive toward it” ~ Sunday Adejala
- “The only way to get a thing done is to start to do it, then keep going, and finally you’ll finish it.” ~ Langston Hughes
- “A ferocious concentration and fanatical execution is what you need to finish strong.” ~ Gary Ryan Blair
- “Remind yourself that even the littlest steps will carry you to the finish line. No task is too small when it comes to reaching for your dreams.”
- “Keep going. Your dreams are waiting right on the other side of one big push to the finish.”
- “Keep going. Ignore the sweat, tears, and doubts. You are stronger than you think.”
- “I’m obsessed with finishing as a skill. Over the years, I’ve realized that so many of the good things that have come my way are because I was able to finish what I started.” ~ Derek Yu
- “You must tell yourself; no matter how hard it is, or how hard it gets, I’m going to make it.” ~ Les Brown quote
- “Many will start fast, few will finish strong.” ~ Gary Ryan Blair
- “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The wall! Your success is on the other side. Can’t jump over it or go around it. You know what to do.” ~ Dwayne Johnson quote
Finish Strong Quotes To Keep You Moving Forward
To wrap up this list, here’s some powerful finishing strong quotes about the importance of seeing things through.
- “Obstacles can’t stop you. Problems can’t stop you. Most of all, other people can’t stop you. Only you can stop you.” ~ Jeoffrey Gitomer
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” ~ Muhammad Ali quote
- “There will come a time when you believe everything is finished; that will be the beginning.” ~ Louis L’Amour
- “Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “We get very little control, but I am adamant in believing there are two things we do get to control, how we show up and how we finish.” ~ Hannah Brencher
- “Even as you make progress, you need the discipline to keep from backtracking and sabotaging the success as it’s happening.” ~ Nipsey Hussle quote
- “Any work is always improvable, you cannot really finish the work, you can only abandon it out of tiredness or incompetence.” ~ Amit Kalantri
- “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” ~ Greg Anderson
- “The days you don’t want to are the days you really have to if you want to reach your goal.” ~ Jay Shetty quote
- “Knowing that you dedicated yourself to something you’re proud of will always feel good. The finished product is a gift to yourself, no matter what it is to anyone.”
- “Finishing strong is the attitude of believing you can do something and having the courage and determination to see it through to the end.” ~ Brad Larsen
- “Here’s the messed up part about quitting when things get hard; they’re about to get easier.” ~ Andy Frisella quote
- “Much of the stress that people feel doesn’t come from having too much to do. It comes from not finishing what they’ve started.” ~ David Allen
- “Failures happen, setbacks happen, keep going because eventually victories happen, and accomplishments happen.”
- “You can be in the race but unless you finish one might say the race wasn’t in you.” ~ Brent Jones
- “Be so busy working to reach your goals that you don’t have the time to hate on someone else who is trying to reach theirs.” ~ CT Fletcher quote
I hope that you enjoyed this list of finish strong quotes!
When you set out to change something about your life, you’re going to experience an initial burst of momentum that will help you start strong.
The first few workouts are always the easiest. The first few days of getting up at 6 a.m. are always met with the least amount of resistance.
But eventually that initial spark of motivation fades, and that’s the critical moment where the game is won or lost.
So are you feeling demotivated right now? Good, that’s exactly how you should feel.
Accept the fact that the dip in motivation you’re experiencing is something that every other successful person has had to contend with.
Time is going to pass anyway, so what are you gonna do? Are you going to embrace the short-term pain of discipline, or suffer the long-term pain of giving up on your goals?
You May Also Like These Articles: