Feeling defeated is a universal human experience that’s truly damaging to the human spirit.
Whether it’s triggered by a monumental professional setback, tragic loss, or a huge personal failure, we all endure those moments where everything is going against us.
Reading motivational quotes won’t erase this feeling completely. However, they can inspire you to pick yourself up and take action to improve your situation.
That’s why in this article, I’ve compiled the most powerful feeling defeated quotes about getting through tough times. Hopefully, these quotes fan your inner flame and help you remember that you’re strong enough to overcome whatever you’re facing.
So without further ado, let’s jump into the list.
Inspirational Feeling Defeated Quotes
- “You must always do your best every day, even when you are feeling defeated. Always do your best.”
- “Even when it hurts, don’t surrender and don’t retreat. You gotta fight for you.” ~ Kevin Gates
- “No man is defeated unless he is discouraged.” ~ Bruce Lee
- “Keep working. Don’t give up when what you want is right around the corner.”
- “If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl. But whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.” ~ Winston Churchill
- “The comfortable road will never lead you to the person you’re destined to be in your life.” ~ Ed Mylett
- “Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die every day.” ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
- “You cannot be broken. You cannot be defeated – this is your time to rise.”
- “You will face many defeats in your life, but never let yourself be defeated.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “If you learn from defeat, then you haven’t really lost.” ~ Zig Ziglar
- “Failure is an option. It’s what you do with the failure that makes you who you are.” ~ David Goggins
- “But man is not made for defeat, he said. A man can be destroyed but not defeated.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
- “Being defeated is often a temporary condition; giving up makes it permanent.” ~ Marilyn Von Savant
- “Keep going. That’s really all you have to do. You don’t need to be amazing, intelligent, beautiful, or successful or good. You just need to keep moving forward.”
- “I may win and I may lose, but I will never be defeated.” ~ Emmitt Smith
- “I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, but I can tell you this; it will be worth the sacrifice if you can grind your way through it.” ~ Eric Thomas
- “Don’t give up on your dreams, or your dreams will give up on you.” ~ John Wooden
- “If you give up on your dreams, what’s left?” ~ Jim Carrey
- “Haters don’t deserve the pleasure of seeing you defeated.”
- “The stories of extreme will, of people that came through stories of extreme circumstances that they were not supposed to make it through, that’s what we are capable of.” ~ CT Fletcher
- “Trust yourself. You’ve survived a lot. And you’ll survive whatever is coming.”
- “In the midst of my disappointment I am never defeated. Only given the opportunity to rise again willing to take on new challenges.” ~ Eleesha
- “When you come out of the storm you won’t be the same person that walked in. That’s what the storm is all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami
Enjoying this list of quotes so far? Good, cause we all need a little motivation when feeling defeated in life.
However if you’d just like to keep reading, then here’s more motivational quotes for when you’re feeling defeated.
- “If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday.” ~ Wilma Rudolph
- “I truly believe that everyone has to go through something that completely destroys them in order to figure out who they really are.” ~ Amazing Me Movement
- “Anytime you suffer a setback or a disappointment, put your head down and plow ahead.” ~ Les Brown quote
- “Persistence is very important. You should never give up unless you are forced to give up.” ~ Elon Musk
- “If you get tired, learn to rest, not to quit.” ~ Banksy
- “The things that happen in life aren’t meant to stop us, they’re meant to reposition us so we can come in contact with what we deserve.” ~ Inky Johnson
- “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” ~ Robert Schuler
- “You’re far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.” ~ Jennifer Freeman
- “The finish line is in sight. Don’t give up now, not when you’ve worked so hard to get here.”
- “It is while you’re going through the most difficult chapter of your life that your hero is revealed.”
- “I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me.” ~ Joshua Graham
- “You didn’t come this far, only to come this far.”
- “When it’s tough, will you give up or will you be relentless?” ~ Jeff Bezos
- “Don’t let your struggle become your identity.” ~ Trent Shelton
- “You’ll have good days, bad days, overwhelming days, I’m too tired days, and I can’t go on days. And every day you still need to show up.”
- “Not everything in this life will go your way. You must accept defeat, so that you can build and start again.”
- “You are stronger than you think. You have gotten through every bad day in your life, and you are undefeated.”
- “The windshield is larger than the rearview mirror for a reason. Just keep moving forward even if you are feeling defeated.”
- “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat and found their way out of the depths.”
- “Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality.” ~ Bruce Lee
- “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.” ~ Mary Anne Radmacher
- “No man is defeated without until he has been defeated within.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “A violent wind does not last for a whole morning; a sudden rain does not last for a whole day.” ~ Lao Tzu
- “You’ve gotta learn to survive a defeat. That’s when you develop character.” ~ Richard Nixon
- “When things go wrong, don’t go with them.” ~ Elvis Pressley
- “Only a man who knows what it’s like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.” ~ Muhammad Ali
We all face setbacks and challenges from time to time. However, by turning to the words of others who have been in our shoes, we can find the strength to keep moving forward in difficult moments.
The true mark of a winner isn’t what they do when they’re winning. Anyone can show up and perform when things are going well.
Winners are defined by what they do in the dark moments. The moments that break most people. The moments that force most people into submission.
So whether you’re struggling with a personal or professional setback, use these feeling defeated quotes as a guiding light for the tough times in your life.
As long as you stay the course, you will eventually find a way out of the darkness.