Letting go is something that many of us struggle with. Letting go of positive things is hard because it means we’re losing something good in our lives.
Letting go of negative things can prove even more challenging because our self-image is tied to all of our past experiences, even the ones that we’d like to forget.
This means that our brain actually encourages holding onto past trauma and pain because these experiences are a fundamental part of who we are.
The practice of self-affirmation is one of the best ways to kickstart the process of letting go and forging a new identity. In this article, we’re going to dive into some simple affirmations for letting go that will help you let go of whatever pain you’re holding onto.
How Affirmations Can Help You Let Go Of The Past
Before we get into some affirmations for letting go, it’s important to highlight why they’re an effective agent for change.
When most of us talk about letting go, we’re referring to the past. Because when it comes to reinventing your life, your past experiences are the biggest obstacle that you have to overcome.
- Maybe you’re struggling to get back into the dating scene because you can’t get past the trauma of a toxic relationship.
- Maybe you’re struggling to overcome social anxiety because you can’t let go of past social pain that prevents you from getting out of your shell.
- Maybe you’re struggling to reconnect with someone that you’ve held a grudge against for years.
We’ve all got the monkey on our back that refuses to get off. And this might sound a little crude, but you’re in no way special for having pain that’s hard to let go of.
I struggled with social anxiety for years, and used to fall into the trap of telling myself that my struggles were unique.
The internal message that I used to listen to went something like this: “Why is it that social situations bring about so much anxiety in me? Why can’t I just be like everyone else? I wish I was born outgoing and witty just like most of the people that I hang out with. No one else knows what this is like.”
In reality, my struggles weren’t unique at all. Some people with social anxiety struggle to even leave their home. Yet, I found it necessary to complain about the fact that I wasn’t as witty and outgoing as I’d like to be.
If you’re being honest with yourself, you have some version of this story that you’re clinging to as well. Recognize that your brain only manufactures this story in an effort to protect your self-image.
Your brain doesn’t want you to become who you should be because it’s too attached to who you’ve been. Defense mechanisms like this one are your brain’s way of keeping you stuck where you don’t belong.
Positive self-talk is one of the best ways to craft a new narrative — one that helps you let go of pain and become a different person. At the end of the day, the primary goal of writing affirmations and reciting them is to start telling your brain a different story.
Affirmations for letting go are meant to challenge the thinking patterns that push you to hold onto irrational beliefs that no longer serve you. You’re not lying to your brain by practicing affirmations, you’re simply letting your brain know that it can’t get away with lying to you any longer.
The only way to form new beliefs is to challenge your current ones, so let’s talk about some daily affirmations that will help you do just that.
Affirmations For Letting Go Of A Relationship
Let’s kickstart this list of affirmations for letting go with a few positive phrases that will help you begin to finally let go of a past relationship that may have caused you pain.
- I no longer need to let someone from my past dictate my future.
- I’ve learned from my last relationship and I’m a better person because of it.
- I am open to seeing new people with a fresh mindset.
- I am not afraid to move on.
- I deserve someone who will make me happy.
- I’m not bitter about my last relationship, I’m grateful for the lessons that I’ve learned as a result.
- I refuse to spend energy worrying about someone who’s not in my life any longer.
- I will find an amazing partner who changes my life.
- I’m leaving the past behind and starting fresh.
- I’m trying to let go of limiting beliefs that hinder my relationships.
- I will allow myself to feel hurt and then rise above it.
- I let go of my resentment.
Affirmations For Letting Of Your Past
Letting go of the past is something that you must do if you want to build your ideal future. Here’s a few affirmations that will make letting go of the past easier.
- I accept the fact that I can’t change the past.
- I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.
- I’m committed to overcoming my past demons.
- I am working towards freeing myself from the burdens of the past.
- I accept my past disappointments and I’m now 100% focused on the future.
- I’m perfectly capable of overcoming my past.
- My past has led me here. I’m right where I’m supposed to be.
- I release my desire to change the past.
- My past is a part of who I am, and I’m grateful to still be standing.
- I’m ready to move on from my past.
- I’m working everyday to overcome the pain from my past.
- My past experiences don’t determine what I can do at this moment.
- I can’t erase my past, but I can decide what comes next in my life.
- My past experiences have made me mentally strong.
- I am letting go of yesterday to make space for tomorrow.
- I’m committed to moving forward even if it feels scary.
- Every moment that I’m breathing is an opportunity to create my future.
Affirmations For Letting Of Expectations
Oftentimes, one of the main reasons we feel unhappy is because our life experiences don’t align with our view of how the world should be.
As harsh as it sounds, the world doesn’t owe you anything. The quicker you can instill this mindset, the quicker you’ll be able to bounce back from adversity.
With that being said, here’s some simple affirmations for letting go of expectations.
- I accept the fact that the world doesn’t owe me anything.
- I have to go take what I want, the world won’t hand it to me.
- I accept the unpredictable nature of life.
- I trust myself to handle whatever life throws at me.
- I cannot change the up and down nature of life.
- I surrender to the ebbs and flows of life.
- I choose to only focus on what I can control.
- I’m strong enough to persist through inevitable hard times.
- Hating the world does not serve my long term goals.
- Everything is happening as it should be.
- I let go of the need to control the whims of the world.
- I will make the best of whatever situation I find myself in today.
- I welcome all experiences, good and bad.
- The world is a cruel place, and also a beautiful one.
- The world presents me with wonderful opportunities every single day.
- I will move forward towards my goals even when the world tries to stop me.
- I trust the world and the plan that it has in store for me.
Final Thoughts On Using Affirmations For Letting Go
I hope that you enjoyed this article about affirmations for letting go!
Self-talk is a powerful tool that many of us overlook on our quest to improve your lives. Making affirmations into a habit won’t cure all of your problems overnight, but it is a big step in the right direction.
By providing an alternate voice to the one that keeps you stuck in your ways, you’ll find it easier to let go of pain and start living a happier life.
You May Also Like These Articles: