The stories we tell ourselves are everything. They determine how much money we make, the quality of our relationships, and ultimately how fulfilled we feel.
Our internal dialogue is most important when it comes to our self-esteem. Most of us tend to avoid living up to our full potential not because we are not capable, but because we don’t believe we are capable.
One of the easiest ways to shift your internal dialogue is through the use of affirmations. In this article, we’re going to discuss the benefits of affirmations as well as run through a list of affirmations for self-confidence that you can use to start re-arranging the limiting beliefs that are holding you back.
How Low Self-Confidence Impacts Your Life
Before we talk about some of the different affirmations for self-confidence that you can implement into your daily routine, it’s important to understand the ramifications that low self-confidence has on your life.
At the end of the day, the outcomes you get in life come down to your actions. However, your actions are driven by the internal beliefs that you have about yourself.
If you believe you are capable of getting the results you want in a particular area of your life, you will take action. If you don’t, you’re not going to take action. It’s really that simple. Change is only possible if you first believe that it can happen for you.
This is why low self-esteem is so destructive — when we start to constantly doubt ourselves, we slip into a vicious cycle that can ripple out into other areas of our lives.
How Can Affirmations Boost Your Self-Confidence?
So much of the constant chatter that we find ourselves getting lost in on a daily basis is negative. As humans, we have a bias toward negativity that’s been hard-wired into our evolutionary profile.
Thousands of years ago, this negativity bias served us well. It allowed us to remember negative experiences carefully so that we wouldn’t be surprised by other apex predators jumping out of the bushes trying to wipe us off the face of the earth.
In today’s world, most of the threats we face are not life-threatening, which means much of the fear and anxiety we feel is self-invoked.
Self-confidence affirmations help us rewire our brain and detach from our negative thought patterns. which often lead to our most self-destructive behaviors.
Now don’t get me wrong, affirmations don’t work overnight. If you’re looking for “feel good” advice that tells you that you can change your life in a week by saying a few nice things to yourself, go somewhere else because you won’t find that here.
However, if you commit to practicing affirmations daily, you can slowly but surely reprogram your mind to see yourself in a more positive way and have more confidence in your abilities.
How Do I Practice Affirmations?
You can go a couple different ways here:
- Sit down in a chair as if you were meditating and repeat them to yourself
- Stand in front of your mirror and repeat them to yourself
- Go outside and get into a superhero pose and practice your affirmations (particularly good technique when it comes to affirmations for self-confidence)
How you practice affirmations isn’t too important, the most important thing is actually showing up every day and doing it.
Whenever you are starting a new habit, technique is not as important as repetition. Technique is something that you figure out on the go. It’s something you develop as you take action.
But nothing ever happens if you don’t take action. A behavior must be established before it is optimized, and affirmations are no different.
Make sure to start small too. Don’t fall into the trap of overestimating your willpower and committing to doing 10 minutes of affirmations per day right off the bat.
Start your first week or two by just doing 1-2 minutes of affirmations, and then scale up from there.
How Do I Fit Self-Confidence Affirmations Into My Daily Routine?
Personally, whenever I’m trying to start a new habit that will positively impact my life, I like to start implementing it in the morning.
The main reason comes down to time. For me, the morning is the “calm before the storm.” You typically aren’t going to be dealing with anything urgent at 7 a.m in the morning while you are making your morning coffee.
The morning is the part of the day that you have the most control over.
Another reason the morning is a great time to practice your affirmations for self-confidence is because it helps you start your day on the right track.
Most people wake up and immediately start thinking about their problems — the bills they have to pay, the work they have to do, and the conversations they need to have.
By starting your day with affirmations that prime you with a positive mindset, you set yourself up for success before the rest of your responsibilities hit you.
33 Affirmations For Self-Confidence To Improve Your Mindset
- I am trying to become the best version of myself
- I am confident in my ability to learn and grow
- I am my best source of motivation.
- I have something special to share with the world
- I have a gift that no one else even if I am yet to discover it
- Challenges are opportunities, not obstacles
- I have the power to design my life
- I feel comfortable speaking my mind
- I feel comfortable having uncomfortable conversations
- I meet minimum requirements for whatever I want
- I am blessed
- My life is going to be filled with fulfilling experiences
- I am willing to pay the price for success
- I embrace my shortcomings as I’m working to fix them
- My life is abundant
- Self-confidence is a skill I can develop, not a fixed trait I don’t have control over
- The possibilities for my life are endless
- I am confident and intelligent
- My contributions are meaningful
- I am willing to face fear in order to grow
- I am capable of achieving my goals
- I can change anything about myself
- My circumstances don’t define me
- I don’t need to become anyone else but myself
- The only thing stopping me, is me.
- I expect great things from my life
- I appreciate myself
- I’m grateful for my past experiences
- I’m a work in progress and a masterpiece
- The world needs to hear my unique perspective
- I adapt and change to my circumstances’
- Other people look up to me
- I appreciate myself
Pick a few of these that resonate and give them a shot!
Once again, you’re not going to see changes overnight. However, if you stay consistent and make affirmations a daily practice, in due time you will increase your self-confidence and reduce the constant chatter that diminishes your self-worth.